Blogs and Commentary

July 8, 2009

Blog: Laura Frankenfield, Wissahickon LC

Laura Frankenfield, a member of the Wissahickon Lacrosse Club, gives you a player's perspective on the inaugural US Lacrosse U-15 National Championship. The girls' portion of the event, presented by Modell's Sporting Goods, runs through Wednesday at Cedar Lane Sports Park in Bel Air, Md.

Posted July 8, 7:05 p.m.

After a long three days of incredible lacrosse, it’s great to be home. I’m sure all of the teams that had games today are going to be feeling the soreness, which comes with three days of intense lacrosse, tomorrow.

This morning we had an early game against Stars Gold which ended with a close score of 14-10. We later had a game against Relentless Hustle to determine who would get third place. It was a close game in the first half but Relentless Hustle caught us off guard in our defensive end numerous times in the second half. Towards the end of the half we started to play our usual game but it was too late to stage a comeback. Relentless Hustle ended up beating us 17-11 for the 3rd place title.

After our game against Relentless Hustle, my team got in a huddle but rather than talking about why we lost and mistakes that were made, we talked about what an amazing journey we had and all the games we played our hearts out to get where we were. I know the same goes for all the teams. Just to be at the tournament at all was an amazing honor and brought out the best in every player on every team. Congratulations to Check Hers 2012 and to Stars Gold, both teams are truly amazing and I can honestly say that I was in awe when I watched both teams play.

The tournament in all was truly jaw dropping. I couldn’t find one thing wrong with it and it seemed as though everything ran smoothly, despite the Wissahickon Lacrosse tent rolling onto a field mid game! All the girls got along and got to witness and participate in three days of amazing competition and a tournament that’s sure to be remembered for as long as the tournament is held. After all, this was the first ever U-15 National Championship Tournament. Regardless of games lost and games won, every single team and player should be proud of the way they played and celebrate the fact that they got to be apart of such a remarkable tournament.

I would like to thank US Lacrosse, Lacrosse Magazine and also Paul Krome for the opportunity to write this blog. I had a great time writing it and an unbelievable experience at the tournament!

Posted July 7, 8 p.m.

Coming into this tournament I didn’t really have too much confidence (sorry to my coaches). Anyone who has done their research about the tournament might know that the team I play for, Wissahickon, is a township team. Basically all of the teams here at the tournament are select teams and try-out teams, which explains my lack of confidence. But despite it all, we have made it to the final four after a tough game against Western Mass.

I think that a lot of the girls would agree that the competition here in Bel Air is awesome. All of the girls have been playing their hardest and are all completely beat. Some of the girls and the boys that have just arrived headed to the social tonight, but we decided to stay back and chill for the night. As the boys pile in, more and more people can be found in the lobby.

The coach’s advice to us was this: hydrate, get to bed early and be ready for the day to come. The first and third piece of advice is going to be easy but with my team, it’s hard to get any sleep. Good luck to all of the teams left and also the boys' teams who start tomorrow. Tomorrow, the champions of the inaugural U-15 National Championship will be named!

Posted July 7, 1:05 p.m.

I woke up this morning an hour earlier than I needed to out of pure anticipation and excitement. The lobby was full of nervous girls talking about the past day and the games to come. As we warmed up it seemed like everyone was full of jitters, except for the team that was playing Rock Band and singing at the top of their lungs. The weather, like the day before, is beautiful - not too hot and certainly not to cold.

Our first game today was against Synergy, the #15th seed. Despite our confidence, Synergy gave us a real run for our money. The whole first half was neck and neck, with no team getting more than a three-goal lead. In the end my team rallied to win the game 14-10 and advanced to the quarterfinals where we will play Western Mass.

I figured I would check out the vendors for about the 10th time in 2 days, only to find that us girls had stocked up on all the apparel we could possibly need. The attention had quickly turned to the Rock Band tent throughout the morning. With girls singing at the top of their lungs while their teammates cringed in embarrassment of their voices. As the day continues, the competitiveness is sure to as well. Quarter-finals here we come!

Posted July 6, 7:47 p.m.

1 day down; 2 to go until a champion is named! With teams being ranked, most of the players and parents left the fields to begin relaxing, or relax as much as you can when a national championship is on the line. With handfuls of clothes from the vendors and little energy, the teams headed back to their hotels. Although, a few coaches stayed behind until the last scores were up to see if they could get an idea as to where they would be seeded. I hung around with my coach and some teammates to wait for the final scores to be put on the board and it seems that my team will be seeded 3rd (ed: actually 2nd)!

I got to talk to some of the Northern California players and they were so excited to be a at a tournament that had such awesome competition. They, like most players, thought the event was huge and vendors were great. It was interesting to compare how popular lacrosse is on the East Coast, to how it is on the West Coast. As a small club team out of Pennsylvania, it was exciting to get to play a team from the complete opposite coast from us.

Tomorrow is sure to be a day of high competition and a lot of nervous players. I’m sure all of the players will be thinking about the day to come before they go to sleep tonight, and it will be the first thing on their mind in the morning. After all, we only get one shot at becoming national champions, so play your hearts out and leave it all on the field!

Posted July 6, 3:59 p.m.

The first thought that came into my head this morning as I woke up was: “Am I really playing in the inaugural U-15 National Championship Tournament?” I was a nervous wreck as I got ready and could barely eat my breakfast. Our game wasn’t until 10:30 that morning but I found my 3 other teammates already at the hotel, up bright and early talking about the possibilities for the day. We sat in one friends room and just talked about what we needed to do and how we needed to play. We all drove over together and as soon as we reached the fields, nervousness turned into excitement.

As we walked to our tent, we recognized many teams from other tournaments; tournaments not nearly the same size of this one. Players, with parents in tow, were already taking a look at the wide selection of vendors. You could see how nervous the teams were just by watching them warming up. Throughout the games all the teams began to loosen up and get rid of all pre game jitters. Although we had a tough start, my team, Wissahickon, managed to pull out a win against the home team, Greene Turtle and another win against Fat Cat Michigan.

After any game, most of the girls at the tournament could be found browsing the awesome vendors or playing Rock Band. The beautiful venue was covered in multi-colored team tents, vendors, teams relaxing and teams playing. A few girls from Michigan mentioned how they had never been to a tournament that was so big. They were also in awe about the many vendors and the fact that the tournament logo was put on any piece of apparel possible. From t-shirts and sweatpants to commemorative jerseys, backpacks and water bottles, the U-15 National Championship logo was everywhere. 2 games down, 1 to go- next up for today, Northern California.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines