April 2, 2010

Seligmann's OT Goal Lifts Hoyas Over Navy

from press release

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick told his team during the week that they would need to play a full 60 minutes when the Hoyas met Navy on Friday night at Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. It ended up that Georgetown needed to play nearly 61 minutes, as Navy scored three goals in the final three minutes to tie the game at 12-all, but junior midfielder Max Seligmann (Essex Falls, N.J./Delbarton) delivered the final blow, with a goal in overtime as the Hoyas posted a 13-12 win in front of 6,250. The Hoyas improve to 5-3 overall, while Navy falls to 5-5.

In overtime, junior Brian Tabb (Chevy Chase, Md./Georgetown Prep) won the opening face-off - his 16th win in 22 attempts during the game - and picked up the ground ball. Seligmann took possession near midfield, raced to the far side of the crease and took a shot that bounced past Navy goalie RJ Wickham at 3;08, giving the Hoyas the 13-12 win.

It was a big night of contributions for the Georgetown freshman class, as five players combined for eight goals and four assists, led by attack Travis Comeau (Alberta, Canada/The Hill Academy), who scored a game-high four goals. Classmate Davey Emala (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) scored three goals, middie Patrick Murray (Denver, Colo./Kent Denver) added a goal, Zac Guy (Tully, N.Y./Tully) led the team with three assists and Jason McFadden (Bel Air, Md./Calvert Hall) added an assist.

Georgetown had taken a 12-9 with 5:57 left in the game when McFadden sent a pass to Comeau, who came in from the right side for his fourth goal. Navy, however, climbed back in. A goal from Brendan Connors with 2:52 to play made it 12-10. After a turnover by the Hoyas with 1:36 left in the game, Kyle Kapron scored with 1:13 left to make it 12-11. Tabb won the next face-off, but a turnover with 1:18 to play gave the Midshipmen life, and Zack Schroeder scored with 1:13 left to tie the game.

With the game tied, Tabb won the next face-off and the Hoyas called a timeout. A shot from senior Scott Kocis (Huntington, N.Y./Huntington) was saved by Wickham with 12 seconds left and after Navy successfully cleared, Georgetown senior goalie Jack Davis (Glen Ridge, N.J./Glen Ridge) saved a shot from Patrick Moran with two seconds left, sending it to overtime.

Leading 10-8 going into the fourth quarter, the Hoyas seemed to have sealed the win, scoring two of the first three goals. Seligmann scored his first of the game at 14:11, racing in from eight yards out to beat Wickham. After Navy pulled to within 11-9 on a goal from Taylor Cook, Comeau took the feed from McFadden to make it 12-9 with just under six minutes left.

It had been a tightly-contested first half in which the Hoyas led 6-4 after three goals and two assists from the freshmen, but Navy kept it close, taking advantage of two extra-man opportunities. The Hoyas wasted little time in taking control in the second half, scoring twice in the first two minutes to open up their biggest lead of the game, 8-4. Less than a minute in, senior Craig Dowd (East Northport, N.Y./Northport) sent a pass to the right wing to Emala, whose low shot from five yards out beat Wickham, giving the Hoyas a 7-4 lead at 14:03. A minute later, Comeau picked up a loose ball in front of the cage and sent a shot from 10 yards out, giving GU its biggest lead, 8-4, with 13:05 left in the third quarter.

Navy pulled to within 8-5, but Emala scored his third goal of the game, coming from the left side and taking a bouncing shot as he drew two defenders. The Midshipmen would score two more times in the middle of the third quarter to pull within 9-7, but with 4:24 left Guy sent a pass from 15 yards out to Comeau, who was streaking in front of the cage and put one on net to give the Hoyas a 10-7 lead. Navy tallied another goal with 3:30 left in the third quarter to make it 10-8 and set up the dramatics in the fourth quarter.

It was a strong first quarter, led by several of the team's freshmen. The first two Georgetown goals of the game, however, came from Dowd, who used his experience and savvy to helped the Hoyas take a 2-1 lead. On the first goal, Dowd cradled the ball behind the cage and raced past a defender and beat Wickham with a low shot at 10:29. After Navy knotted the score at 1-all on a goal from Connors, Dowd scored again to give the Hoyas the lead. The Hoyas had turned the ball over and as Navy was attempting to clear, Dowd stole the pass and charged in uncovered and scored at 4:22.

The lead grew to 3-1 when Murray took the first face-off attempt of his career, won it and scored off a give-and-go from senior middie Chris Schuville (Lloyd Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) with 4:12 to play. A goal from Moran cut the lead to 3-2, but the Hoya freshmen again teamed up. Guy sent a pass to the left of the crease, where Emala scored his first career goal, bouncing one past Wickham.

Navy took advantage of a pair of Georgetown penalties to knot the game at 4-all. Moran scored with 10;34 left to play before halftime after a cross-check was called, and a slash on the Hoyas allowed Andy Warner to score with 5:06 left. The Midshipmen had appeared to tie the score with nine minutes left after Wickham made a save on a Georgetown shot, raced upfield and scored on Davis, but the shot was disallowed as the Midshipmen were offside.

Georgetown took the lead into the half after a pair of goals in the final three minutes of play. Senior Scott Kocis (Huntington, N.Y./Huntington) sent a pass to the near sideline and senior Andrew Brancaccio (Chevy Chase, Md./Georgetown Prep) broke the tie with a laser from 10 yards out. Then, with 47 seconds left before the half, Guy sent a pass to Comeau, who scored from five yards out.

Georgetown out-shot Navy, 40-28, and had a tremendous advantage in ground balls, winning that category, 44-20. The Hoyas won 20-of-29 face-off attempts, with Tabb taking 16-of-22 and Murray winning 4-of-7. Tabb had a team-high nine ground balls, while Dowd collected seven.

Six different players scored goals for the Hoyas and 10 different players had at least one point. Dowd finished the day with two goals and one assist. Davis picked up the win for the Hoyas, making seven saves.

The game marked the Fifth Annual Boyle Cup. The Boyle Cup is named in honor of longtime official Scott Boyle, who tragically collapsed and passed away while officiating the Navy-Georgetown game at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium on April 2, 2005.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines