April 3, 2010

Dartmouth Snaps 12-Game Losing Streak to Cornell

from press release

Ari Sussman scored four goals to help Dartmouth upset No. 6 Cornell 8-6 at Gillette Stadium.

© Kevin P. Tucker

FOXBORO, Mass. – The No. 6 Cornell men’s lacrosse team ran into a brick wall, as Dartmouth’s Fergus Campbell made a career-high 23 saves to lead the Big Green to an 8-6 upset at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. The victory by Dartmouth snaps a 12-game Big Red winning-streak in the series and makes the Big Green the first Ivy team other than Princeton or Brown to beat the Big Red since the 2006 season. Cornell also had another streak ended, as it had won its last 45 outings in which it held its opponent to single-digits.

Cornell (7-2, 2-1) was led by Rob Pannell’s three goals, while Ryan Hurley, Chris Ritchie and David Lau each scored once. Roy Lang was the Big Red’s only other multi-point scorer with two assists, while Austin Boykin and Scott Austin added one assist each. 

In goal, AJ Fiore made six saves and allowed five goals in 37:52, while Mat Martinez made four saves and allowed three goals in 22:08. Fiore played the entire first half and returned with 7:52 remaining in the fourth quarter after Martinez was flagged for an illegal cross-check.

Dartmouth’s offense was led by Ari Sussman, who scored four times, while Josh Etzion chipped in two goals.

Cornell held the edge in shots (43-31), ground balls (27-25) and face-offs (11-of-18), with Boykin winning 9-of-14 attempts. The Big Red went 0-for-4 on man-up opportunities.

Solid defense and brilliant saves were the story of the first quarter, with the Big Red forcing turnovers on four of Dartmouth’s first five possessions, while Campbell turned away six Cornell shots.

The second quarter started the same way the first quarter ended, with Campbell making a save before Andrew MacDonald caused one of his team-high three turnovers on the day. A pair of saves by Fiore set up the Big Red’s first goal as Ritchie blasted a shot from 12 yards out past Campbell at the 9:34 mark.

Dartmouth responded with three unanswered goals to end the quarter with a 3-1 lead. The first two tallies came off the stick of Sussman, who each time rolled from behind the cage, beating Fiore once up high on a near-impossible angle, before bouncing a low shot through Fiore’s legs. Chris Costabile capped the scoring in the quarter with 1:15 to play as he took the ball up top, beat his defender and then bounced a shot over Fiore’s right shoulder. The Big Red had several opportunities in the final moments of the quarter when a wide shot by Pannell was scooped up by Gillum, but Gillum was stonewalled by Campbell with four ticks left on the clock. The ball squirted loose in front of the net and a Big Red player tried to goose it into the empty net, but sent the ball over the goal.

Both teams turned up the offensive pressure in the third quarter, combining for three goals in the first five minutes of play. Pannell opened the scoring with a high shot from the right side of the crease at the 12:24 mark.  Etzion answered with a goal that barely inched over the goal-line after Martinez made the initial stop. Less than one minute later, Pannell scored again to bring the Big Red within one goal, as it trailed 4-3.

David Lau then tied the game at 4-4 when he cut to the goal, caught a pass in stride from Austin, and one-timed it into the net with 7:12 to play in the quarter.

The Big Green retained the lead when Etzion’s shot was once again stopped by Martinez, but had just enough momentum to trickle into the net.

Sussman increased the Dartmouth lead to 6-4 early in the final quarter when he slipped his defender and scored from point-blank range.

The teams traded possessions and each squad was helped out by a save from their respective goalies before an illegal body-check gave Cornell a one-minute man-up opportunity. A save by Campbell sent the Big Green into an offensive zone and the penalty on Martinez negated the man-up advantage.

A Dartmouth turnover returned the ball to Cornell, but once again Campbell made a save and the Big Green went back on offense. The Big Red defense put the ball on the turf three times on Dartmouth’s next possession but was not able to come up with it and Rhett Miller scored on a shot that beat Fiore down low to make it a 7-4 game with 3:28 to play.

Cornell won the face-off and Lang had an opportunity with a time and space shot from up top, but once again, Campbell made the save.

After taking nearly one-minute off the clock, Sussman scored Dartmouth’s final goal of the game on an empty net.

Cornell scored two goals in the final 15 seconds to account for the 8-6 final. The first goal came in transition following a Dartmouth turnover as Lang found Pannell on the doorstep. Boykin won the restart for the Big Red and found Hurley, who converted with just two seconds showing on the clock.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines