April 10, 2010

No. 19 Yale Downs Dartmouth in Defensive Affair

from press release

HANOVER, N.H. – In a game that featured 44 combined turnovers, the Dartmouth men's lacrosse team was held scoreless for the first 37 minutes as the Big Green dropped its second Ivy game of the year to 19th-ranked Yale with an 8-3 loss on Saturday afternoon.

Dartmouth (3-5, 1-2 Ivy) got goals from senior captain Ari Sussman (New Haven, Conn.), junior Joshua Etzion (Boca Raton, Fla.) and freshman Chris Costabile (Sykesville, Md.) with Sussman adding an assist for a team-high two points. Sophomore Fergus Campbell (New Canaan, Conn.) made nine saves, including five in the first half to keep the Big Green to within striking distance.

Yale (7-2, 2-2 Ivy) saw Matt Gibson tally five goals and Brendan Gibson pass out three assist to lead the Bulldogs to the victory. Brian Douglass added a pair of scores, while Gregory Mahony also netted a goal. Johnathan Falcone was impressive all afternoon, especially in the second half, as he collected 15 saves with eight coming in the final quarter. 

Yale took the lead with 8:20 remaining in the first quarter at 1-0 on a goal from Matt Gibson. Brendan Gibson found Matt Gibson cutting from behind the net and beat Campbell on a bounce shot that found the top of the net.

Once again it was the two Gibson's hooking up for a man-up goal late in the opening quarter to give the Bulldogs a 2-0 advantage. Matt Gibson made a nice individual dodge move coming from behind the net and beat Campbell high just under the cross bar.

Matt Gibson looked to have given the Bulldogs a 3-0 advantage after receiving a pass from the opposite side of the cage, but Campbell slid across the crease to make an amazing stop as Gibson tried to hit the empty net.

Yale solved Campbell for the first time in the second quarter on a goal from Mahony with five minutes remaining. He was able to avoid the Dartmouth defender and surprised Campbell with a sniper shot inside the near post to make it 3-0 Yale. Matt Gibson completed the first half hat trick with a fast break tally coming with 1:55 left in the second quarter. Colin Still found an open Gibson in front and with a couple of moves, but the ball in the net to increase the lead to 4-0.

Matt Gibson continued to beat the Dartmouth defense alone on another man-up situation. This time it came in the second half. He added his fourth of the contest and second on the extra man opportunity to make it 5-0 with under 10 minutes left in the third frame. Brian Douglass tallied his first of the game with 8:30 left with a laser from the outside that beat Campbell to the far post.

Dartmouth finally got on the scoreboard as Costabile ripped the net on a snipe from the outside that beat Falcone high and just under the cross bar. Sussman was on the assist as Dartmouth cut the lead to 6-1.

The Big Green wilted the advantage to 6-2 on an unassisted goal by Sussman. During a scrum, Falcone tried to bring the ball out, but loss control and the ball fell to Sussman. He didn't hesitate and fired the ball through traffic and into the net.

Yale took back control after a short run by the Big Green with a man-up goal from Douglass as he beat Campbell on shot from the right side to push the lead up to 7-2. Dartmouth answered with its own man-up tally from Etzion. Junior Rhett Miller (Dallas, Texas) found Etzion at the opposite post and he was able to make a few moves to score and make it 7-3 with 12 minutes remaining in the game.
Matt Gibson closed out the scoring for both teams with this fifth of the afternoon coming with 4:10 left in the game as the Bulldogs left Hanover with an 8-3 win.

Yale lost the turnover battle to the Big Green, but the story was Dartmouth's costly and self-inflicted turnovers in which the Bulldogs took advantage. The mistakes were evident at the beginning of the second half, when Yale scored twice on fast breaks and under a minute apart. The Bulldogs had a slim 31-30 lead in shots, while the ground-ball battle went to Yale with a 24-21 advantage.

Dartmouth will be back in action a week from Saturday as the Big Green closes out its six-game streak against ranked opponents with a visit to fourth-ranked Princeton at 1 p.m. on April 17.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines