May 8, 2010

Mount St. Mary's, Siena Vie for MAAC Crown

from press releases

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- Sophomore Brett Schmidt tallied three goals and two assists while goalkeeper T.C. DiBartolo made 20 saves to lead Mount St. Mary's to a come-from-behind 10-6 win over Manhattan in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Semifinals on Friday afternoon at Tanney Stadium on the campus of Marist College. With the win, the Mount advances to the MAAC title game for the first time since 2006.

The Mount trailed 6-4 late in the third quarter before scoring the final six goals of the game to earn the victory.  The game was a rematch of last year's MAAC Tournament semifinal that was won by Manhattan, 5-3.

The Mount (11-4) will face top-seeded Siena in the championship game.  In the team's regular season meeting this season, Siena rallied with four goals over the final six minutes for an 8-7 win at the Mount.

Schmidt's five-point day led the Mount offense while Cody Lehrer and Bryant Schmidt added two goals each in the victory.  Lehrer's two-goal game gives him 48 on the season, matching Josh Warfield (2001) for the second-best single-season mark in MSM history.  Andrew Scalley added a goal and an assist for the Mount as well.

The Mount was outshot in the game, 42-32, while Manhattan held a 28-to-19 advantage in ground balls.  Sal Spatarella and Chace Calkin each had two goals for Manhattan while goalkeeper Jon Fiorillo had nine saves.

Trailing 4-3 at the half, the Jaspers (7-9) came out on fire in the third quarter, scoring three goals in a span of 23 seconds to grab a 6-4 lead.  Spatarella evened the score 3:49 into the second half when he tallied his second goal of the game and Calkins's second score just nine seconds later put the Jaspers on top, 5-4.  Defender Kyle Ochwat made it a two-goal advantage when he converted a Justin Jensen pass with 10:48 left in the third.

Lehrer halted the streak when buried a shot from the left wing on a pass from Brett Schmidt.  Bryant Schmidt's second goal of the game tied it at 6-6 with 2:12 left in the third quarter while Andrew Scalley put the Mount ahead, 7-6, when he came from behind the cage and beat the keeper with 26 seconds left in the quarter.

In the fourth, Brett Schmidt scored the next three goals to seal the victory.  He scored on a move from behind the cage with 12:55 left before converted a Scalley pass with 7:22 on the clock for a 9-6 lead.  Schmidt completed the natural hat trick with an unassisted goal with 4:39 left in the contest.

In the first half, Mark Stapor opened the scoring when he drove to the cage and beat Manhattan keeper Jon Fiorillo to the right with 9:34 left in the first quarter.  Lehrer made it a two-goal advantage when he tallied his first goal of the day on an assist by Brett Schmidt.

Sophomore Jake Willertz pushed the margin to 3-0 with his 21st goal of the season with 10:25 left in the second quarter.  Bryant Schmidt made it 4-0 when he drove to the goal and buried a shot with 4:00 remaining in the first half.

Manhattan's Calkin stemmed the Mount's momentum when he won the face-off, sprinted to the cage and beat DiBartolo 12 seconds after Schmidt's goal.  Spatarella made it 4-2 with an unassisted goal with 41 seconds left in the half.  After a 25-second skirmish on the face-off, Manhattan's Joe Variano was wide-open on a feed from Jensen to make the score 4-3 at the half.

The shots in the first half were even at 16-16 with DiBartolo making nine saves and Fiorillo five in the opening 30 minutes.

With the victory, the Mount tied the school record for wins in a season (11) that was set by the 1999 squad (11-6) and matched by the 2001 team.

Game Notes:  This was the fifth meeting between the Mount and Manhattan in the MAAC Tournament...The Jaspers have won three of those matchups...This is the Mount's final season in the MAAC before joining the Northeast Conference next year...Mount St. Mary's has qualified for seven of the 11 MAAC Tournaments held and has an 8-5 record in those games...This will be the Mount's sixth MAAC Championships game.


POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. -- Siena men's lacrosse survived a sloppy MAAC Championship semifinal with timely goals and defensive stops to defeat No. 4 seeded Marist 9-7 Friday evening at Tenney Stadium in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Sophomore Bryan Neufeld led all players with four goals, the biggest of which was the eventual game winner, when he caught a pass on the crease, turned and scored as he was clobbered. MAAC Defensive Player of the Year Brent Herbst made 13 saves including four in the final period.

No. 1 seeded Siena (12-4) advances to its second MAAC Championship game in as many years and will face No. 2 seeded Mount St. Mary's on Sunday at noon. Mount advanced with a 10-6 win over Manhattan in the first semifinal.

"This certainly wasn't going to be a 10-goal game like it was last time," Head Coach Brian Brecht said. "I'm confident in our team. We're deep and we have a lot of guys who can make plays at any time. I don't think we were as crisp as we can be, but we made plays when we needed."

Marist (8-7) came out strong and scored twice in the first five minutes of the game. Siena settled down midway through the first quarter and rattled off three goals in three minutes. The first was a man-up goal by Brendan Murphy, his first of the season, and the next two came off the stick of Neufeld.

The Red Foxes hung around by controlling possession with a clear advantage at the faceoff X and Siena's sloppy play. Marist won 14-of-18 draws and the Saints complicated matters with 16 turnovers.

"They came out with a lot of passion and we had to weather the storm," Neufeld said.

Marist tied the game with 51 seconds left in the first half as Zindel hounded Herbst at the restraining line on a clearing attempt and knocked the ball loose. Zindel grabbed the ball and shot as Kyle Vercruysse scrambled to try and cover the empty net, but he only got a piece and it slipped by him.
Siena took a two-goal lead in the third quarter with goals by Neufeld and Loftus and Herbst made three saves to keep the Red Foxes off the scoreboard.

Herbst took a penalty to end the third quarter and was forced to the sidelines for 30 seconds. Siena killed the penalty with Bill Kelly in goal, but Marist kept possession on an errant shot and Zindel eventually scored to make it a one-goal game for a sixth time.

Neufeld shined bright in the moment, scoring his fourth goal of the game with 8:58 remaining. He received a pass from Matt Leithead on the crease, spun and scored as he took a heavy hit from the defender. He left the game with an injury on that play but later returned.

Marist would not go away and answered a minute later. Siena led 8-7 until the final minutes when Shaun Dunn whistled a rocket past Sam Altiero.

"It wasn't pretty but we got the win," Herbst said. "Throughout the season we've had a bunch of character-building games and this is just another to add to the list."

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines