April 29, 2011

Bucknell to Meet Colgate in Patriot Championship

from press release

Center Valley, Pa. -- The 2011 Patriot League Men's Lacrosse Championship comes down to the top two seeds. No. 1 Bucknell will play second-seeded Colgate in Sunday's title tilt at 3 p.m. at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium in Lewisburg, Pa. The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network.

Sunday's contest will be a rematch of the 2008 championship game, which Colgate won 13-9 at West Point, N.Y. The Bison were the No. 4 seed that year and upset top seed Army in the semifinals, while the third-seeded Raiders upended No. 2 Navy to reach the finals.

Bucknell is playing in its third title game in the last four years, having gone 0-2 in those previous appearances. The Bison fell 9-8 to Navy in the 2009 championship, also at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.

Colgate is 1-1 all-time in the title game, having lost 15-9 to Colgate in the 2007 championship.

Capsules and box scores of Friday's games are below.

No. 2 Colgate 7, No. 3 Army 6

Lewisburg, Pa. -- Jimmy Ryan posted a game-high three assists and Jeff Ledwick’s goal with 12:29 left in the fourth quarter stood as the game-winner as second-seeded Colgate advanced to the championship game of the 2011 Patriot League Men’s Lacrosse Tournament with a 7-6 win over No. 3 seed and defending champion Army in the first of two semifinals Friday at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.

The Raiders will play top-seeded Bucknell in Sunday’s championship tilt at 3 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.

Down 7-6, Army had the ball with under a minute to play, but Boltus committed a turnover behind the Colgate goal and then took a 30-second penalty on the recovery attempt. The Raiders had the ball with 32 seconds to go but committed a turnover on their possession, giving the Black Knights one final opportunity. On Army’s final chance, a stumbling Thul took a pass in the middle about 12 yards from the goal and tried a behind-the-head shot as the final seconds ticked off. Colgate keeper Jared Madison made the save shortly before the horn sounded to secure the Raider win.

Michael Thomas’ unassisted tally put Colgate up 1-0 at the 11:41 mark of the first quarter. It was the beginning of a six-goal run for the Raiders, who received tallies from Ben McCabe, Matt Baker, Peter Baum, Andrew Mould and Jim Carroll during the stretch.

Mould’s unassisted mark gave the Raiders a 5-0 lead with 3:15 left in the first period, and Carroll won the opening faceoff of the second, picked up the ground ball and scored seven seconds later to extend the Raiders’ lead to 6-0.

Army’s defense picked up the play from that point, allowing its offense to go to work. Jeremy Boltus got the Black Knights on the board at the 8:58 mark of the second, and John Adair scored 1:31 later. Colgate held a 6-2 advantage at the intermission.

Army scored the game’s next three goals, with Andrew Boyd scoring the first of his two on the game at the 11:24 mark of the third to bring the Black Knights within 6-3. Garrett Thul’s 39th goal of the season nearly six minutes later made it a 6-4 Colgate lead, and Rob McCallion capped off Army’s five-goal spurt with an unassisted marker with 1:33 remaining in the third bring the Black Knights within a goal.

Ledwick’s goal snapped a 32:24 scoreless streak for the Raiders and gave them a 7-5 lead early in the fourth quarter. Boyd’s second of the game with 5:23 left made it a one-goal game once again to set up a frantic final five minutes.

Colgate won 11 of the game’s 16 face offs, including all six after halftime. Madison stopped nine shots in the win, while Army’s Tom Palesky recorded 10 saves.

No. 1 Bucknell 13, No. 4 Lehigh 5

Lewisburg, Pa. -- Top-seeded Bucknell scored 11 goals after halftime to blow open a 2-2 game to post a 13-5 win over No. 4 Lehigh in the second semifinal of the Patriot League Men’s Lacrosse Tournament Friday night at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. The host Bison will play No. 2 Colgate in Sunday’s championship game at 3 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.

Ryan Klipstein scored both of his goals during the Bison’s run of six consecutive goals that bridged the third and fourth quarters, while Charlie Streep and Chase Bailey both logged hat tricks. Todd Heritage added a pair of tallies.

David DiMaria put Lehigh up 1-0 just seven seconds into the game off a feed from Ryan Snyder after the latter won the opening faceoff. DiMaria’s tally was just one second slower than the Patriot League Tournament record for the fastest goal to start a game.

Streep tied the game at 1-1 with his first of the game 2:13 later, and the teams ended the first quarter tied at the same score.

Adam Johnston, who tied DiMaria with a team-high two goals in the game, tallied his first of the night on an extra-man opportunity with 14:36 before halftime. The score would stay there until Streep found the back of the net again, this time with 38 seconds left on the clock.

Nick Gantsoudes’ 16th goal of the season came with 11:07 to go in the third quarter, and Streep and Alex Lyons would each add a goal as Bucknell jumped ahead 5-2 at the 7:23 mark. Streep’s marker came a man up, while Lyons’ was on an amazing individual effort in which the second-team All-League selection picked up a ground ball just on his own side of midfield, fought through a scrum and streaked in before bouncing a shot beyond the reach of Lehigh keeper Griffin Farha.

DiMaria’s second of the game cut Bucknell’s lead to 5-3 at the 2:49 mark of the third, but Heritage’s first of the contest came 1:22 later that started the Bison’s 6-0 run that broke open the game.

Kyle Feeney made eight saves between the pipes for the Bison, while Griffin Farha stopped 11 shots and allowed 12 goals in 58:02 of action. Ty Souders played the other 1:58 and yielded one goal.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines