February 18, 2012

Third-Quarter Surge Pushes Fairfield Past Stony Brook

from staff reports

FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- Fairfield opened its 2012 season with a 13-10 home win over Stony Brook on Alumni Field Saturday afternoon. Sam Snow paced the Stags in the victory with a career-high five goals.

The win marks the second consecutive season that the Stags have opened at 1-0 and the third time in four seasons under the direction of Andy Copelan.

The Stags won all seven face-offs contested in the third quarter of play, and outscored Stony Brook 5-1 in the period to erase a 6-5 halftime deficit and build a 10-7 lead. Drew Federico knotted the score at 6-6, 37 seconds into the period. The Seawolves were whistled for two penalties at the 14:08 mark, one an un-releasable 2:00 illegal body check, which gave Fairfield a two-man advantage.

Tristan Sperry struck for the go-ahead tally at 13:22 and Snow made the lead 8-6 with a goal at the 12:48 mark. John Snellman pushed the lead to three goals for the first time, 9-6, at 10:44. Stony Brook got its only tally of the period at the 4:19 mark, but Snow answered again less than a minute later, for the 10-7 edge.

Stony Brook opened the final period with a goal from Kyle Belton, to get within two at the 13:18 mark, 10-8. Adams pushed the lead back to three, with a goal at the 11:57 mark, and Snow scored a man-up tally at 10:04 to make it 12-8. Mike Rooney scored back-to-back goals for Stony Brook at 5:40 and 3:20, both man-up goals, to get the deficit back to two, 12-10. Snow put the game away with his fifth-goal of the game, into an empty net, with 1:34 to play.

Charlie Cipriano made seven of his nine saves in the second-half, to earn the win in net for Fairfield. He also had two ground balls. Sean Brady made 13 saves, seven in the third quarter, for Stony Brook.

Snow finished with a career-best five goals to lead all scorers. Adams and Snellman both touched net three times in the win, while Federico and Sperry each had a goal and an assist. Rooney scored three goals to lead the Stony Brook offense, and Robbie Campbell had two goals and two assists.

The Stags finished the game winning 19-26 at the face-off X on the afternoon, with newcomer Michael Roe going 16-22. Fairfield outshot Stony Brook 37-32 and had a 30-27 advantage in ground balls. The Stags cleared the ball 11-14 for the game and committed 14 turnovers, while Stony Brook was 14-18 clearing and committed 13 turnovers. Fairfield scored on 4-5 of its man-up chances, while Stony Brook was 3-6.

"I wasn't real happy with the team's performance today," Stony Brook coach Jim Nagle said. "We saw some good things today, but it's going to take some time and the guys understand that. I like this team a lot and I'm excited going forward."

Stony Brook senior Robbie Campbell (Delta, British Columbia) led the Seawolves with two goals and two assists. Junior Jeff Tundo (Orchard Park, N.Y.) added two goals and an assist. Redshirt freshman Mike Rooney (East Islip, N.Y.) recorded a team-high three goals in his first collegiate action.

Junior transfer goaltender Sean Brady (Huntington Bay, N.Y.) was outstanding, finishing with 13 saves, including seven in the third period.

Stony Brook got the game going with a Campbell goal 2:12 into the game, which was answered 60 seconds later by Adams. The Seawolves scored the next two goals, at 10:08 and 9:13 to build a 3-1 advantage. Snellman scored a man-up goal with 4:52 to play in the quarter to get the Stags within a goal, but Tundo answered 1:05 later to take the Stony Brook edge back to 4-2. Snow single-handily erased the deficit with goals 44 seconds apart in the final minutes of the stanza. The two squads settled into a more defensive posture in the second-quarter, with Stony Brook netting a pair of goals, sandwiched around a Snellman score, to take a 6-5 edge into the locker room.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines