March 3, 2012

Saint Joseph's Edges Wagner For Second Victory

from press release

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. ­ - In a nip-and-tuck affair that featured four lead changes and three ties, the Saint Joseph's men's lacrosse team overcame an early 2-0 deficit and held on for a 6-5 victory over the Seahawks in a hard-fought battle at Wagner College Stadium.

In its two home games this season, Wagner has lost by a combined margin of five goals to schools that hail from well-respected conferences. On February 21, Wagner absorbed a 9-5 loss to Rutgers of the Big East, and this afternoon's foe, Saint Joseph's, plays in the competitive Colonial Athletic Association.

With the win, the Hawks even their season log at 2-2 while Wagner falls to 0-5.

Senior attacker Mike Hurley (Billerica, MA/ Billerica) broke the ice in this one, converting an unassisted goal at the 11:09 mark of the first quarter. Less than two minutes later, at the 9:51 mark, junior midfielder Nick DePhillips (Glen Ridge/ NJ/ Glen Ridge/ Ohio State) found the back of the net after receiving a feed from freshman midfielder Cory Santor (Glastonbury, CT/ Glastonbury) to give the Seahawks a quick 2-0 bulge.

Michael Dougherty then single-handedly tied the game. Forty-four seconds after DePhillips found paydirt, his goal at 9:07 made it 2-1 and was followed by the equalizer at 8:22 off a Josh Cavanaugh assist. Saint Joseph's would then take its first lead of the game, a marker by Cavanaugh midway through the second quarter, a goal held up the rest of the half as neither team could find the net over the final 7:34 of the second quarter.

The Hawks maintained that lead until junior attacker Brian Faughnan knotted the game at 3-3 with 10:39 to go in the third quarter on an unassisted tally. Both defenses got the better of the play for the next eight minutes until the teams combined for three goals in just over a two-minute span. DePhillips shook free for an unassisted goal with 2:24 left in the third to put Wagner back on top 4-3.

Saint Joseph's responded with 54 seconds left in the third on a Bobby Hurley goal off of a Johnny Simanski assist that tied it at 4-4 and then with 13 seconds to go in the period, Hurley put the Hawks ahead for good on a goal off a Kyle Williams assist.

Early in the fourth quarter, the Hawks opened a 6-4 lead on a goal by Augustus Quinzani. Assisting on this important tack-on goal was Ryan McGee. The Seahawks would not go away easily and when Faughnan netted his second goal of the game, Wagner was to within one at 6-5. This score, however, would prove the final tally of the day for either side as Saint Joseph's escaped with the one-goal victory.

Saint Joseph's held a slim 41-37 edge in shots and led in ground balls 35-27 but where the Hawks held an overwhelming edge was in the face-off department where they won 12-of-15 chances.

DePhillips and Faughnan finished with two goals apiece to lead Wagner offensively. Sophomore goalkeeper Nicholas Gibaldi (Rocky Point, NY/ Rocky Point) had a fine afternoon between the pipes, coming up with 15 saves. Hurley and Dougherty each had two goals to lead Saint Joe's while Griffin Ferrigan made 10 saves for the Hawks.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines