March 31, 2012

Snow's Late Goal Gets No. 15 Fairfield Past Bellarmine

from press release

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Sam Snow put home a Colin McLinden pass with 13 seconds to play to give the Fairfield University men's lacrosse team a 9-8 win over ECAC Lacrosse League foe Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky. Saturday afternoon.

The Stags improve to 9-1 overall and 2-0 in conference play, while the Knights fall to 3-4 on the year and 0-3 in ECAC action.

Bellarmine erased a 5-1 halftime Fairfield lead and drew even with goals at 9:06 and 7:56 of the fourth quarter, 7-7. Eric Warden put the Stags back in front with an unassisted tally out of a time out, at 5:12. Bellarmine won the ensuing face-off and peppered six shots at Fairfield over a 3:08 span, with Charlie Cipriano stopping two of them. The seventh shot of the flurry, from Michael Ward, found the back of the net with 41 seconds to play, tying the score 8-8.

Michael Roe won the following face-off and the Stags used their final timeout with 20 seconds to play. Out of the timeout Colin McLinden found Sam Snow to put the game-winner into the back of the net with 13 seconds remaining. Roe won that face-off as well, with Pete DeSalvo scooping up the ground ball to preserve the win.

Warden led the Stags offense with two goals and an assist, while Snow and Adams each scored twice in the game. Federico had a goal and an assist, with two assists from McLinden. Roe finished 10-20 at the face-off X for Fairfield and picked up seven ground balls.

Cipriano finished the game with 10 saves, allowing eight goals. Dillion Ward stopped 12 shots for Bellarmine, allowing nine goals.

The Knights were paced by three goals and an assist from Michael Ward. Colton Clark and Bright each scored twice in the game. Andrew Bulgarelli went 11-21 at the face-off X and picked up six ground balls.

The Stags started the scoring just over four minutes into the contest as Marshall Johnson netted a pass from Tristan Sperry for a man-up goal and 1-0 lead. Federico fed Warden 58 seconds later, at even strength, for a 2-0 lead and Brent Adams netted a Warden pass with 8:02 to play in the first quarter for a 3-0 Stag advantage. Bellarmine would get on the board at the 5:46 mark of the opening period with a man-up goal by Austin Bright.

The Stags were the only team to touch the back of the net in the second quarter, doing so twice. Snow scored at the 8:54 mark and John Snellman scored with 81 seconds before the intermission to give Fairfield a 5-1 halftime lead.

The Stags return home to face the only other ECAC Lacrosse League unbeaten Loyola University Maryland on April 7. Game time is set for 1 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines