March 30, 2013

Cornell Wallops Dartmouth on Big Red Senior Day

from press release

ITHACA, N.Y. – Saturday was Senior Day on Schoellkopf Field, and the Big Red honored 16 seniors for their contributions to the program before the team's game against Dartmouth. Many of the seniors factored into a dominant 21-5 victory, including four points from Steve Mock, three ground balls from Jason Noble and five saves from A.J. Fiore.

No. 3 Cornell (9-1, 3-0 Ivy League) picked up its third consecutive win against the Big Green (2-6, 0-2) and maintained a hold on first place in the Ivy League. Cornell controlled the play from the onset, holding a 6-1 lead after the first period and a 10-3 advantage at halftime.

Matt Donovan led all Cornell scorers with five points on four goals and an assist. Connor English, Max Van Bourgondien, Dan Lintner and Mock all had hat tricks as Cornell put more than 20 goals on the board for the first time since March 28, 2009 at Penn. Fourteen different Big Red players scored at least one point in the game.

Senior Rob Pannell also had a strong afternoon, going scoreless in the first half before erupting for three consecutive points in the third quarter. Senior Shane Henry also had a career day in his last regular-season game at Schoellkopf Field, scoring his first two college points on assists.

The Big Red was perfect on clears on the afternoon, going 22 for 22, and finished the day winning 10 of 19 faceoffs. Cornell had 41 ground balls to Dartmouth's 18, more than doubling the visitng Big Green in that category. Cornell also caused 11 turnovers.

The outcome of Saturday's contest was never in doubt.

The Big Red took just over a minute to get started on offense. After Donovan missed a shot wide in the early going, the Big Red maintained possession and Mock made it 1-0 just 61 seconds in. English ripped one from long range with 10:20 left in the quarter to make it 2-0 Big Red.

Dartmouth cut the lead in half shortly after that, but Mock got his second on the day on a feed from John Hogan to give Cornell a two-goal lead once again. The Big Red won the ensuing faceoff, and Van Bourgondien struck on a pass from English. Trailing 4-1 just 8:11 into the game, the Big Green was forced to call a timeout.

A beautiful fast-break sequence led to a 5-1 advantage for the Big Red. Mike Huttner intercepted a Dartmouth pass in midair and streaked down the field. He found Mock just to the right of the Big Green net, but Mock dished over to the left side for Donovan instead of shooting. With the whole left side of the net gaping, Donovan found the twine.

English rolled around the crease from the left with 2:12 left in the period, beating Dartmouth goalie Bernie Susskind to make it 6-1.

The second quarter started much the same. Cornell won the faceoff and got a quick goal from Donovan with an assist from Buczek just 1:08 into the second. Buczek got a goal of his own six minutes later, firing from long distance from the left side of the net. His shot went high and right, besting Susskind to make it 8-2 Big Red. Donovan completed his hat trick with 4:08 left in the half with an unassisted shot from the left.

After a Big Red timeout, Van Bourgondien increased the lead to 10-2 with a falling-down goal from just outside the crease. His shot bounced off the grass and into the net, giving Cornell double figures for ninth time in 10 games.

The onslaught continued in the second half. English scored the Big Red's 11th – and his third – just 1:10 into the third quarter. Mock connected on his third four minutes later on a nifty cross-crease pass by Donovan. And Dan Lintner got on the scoreboard on a man-up opportunity, converting on a perfect pass from Donovan with 8:03 left in the third.

Van Bourgondien became the fourth Cornell scorer to record a hat trick next, tallying a goal on a pass from Rob Pannell – the senior's first point of the game. He earned his second shortly thereafter, rocketing the ball into the back of the net from a bad angle on the left side. That goal put Cornell ahead 15-4 with 3:55 left in the third.

Half a minute after that, Pannell got his third point on an assist on a Lintner goal. And 40 seconds after that, Lintner became the fifth Big Red player to record a hat trick when he scored unassisted.

Both teams changes goalies at the start of the fourth quarter as the Big Red used Brennan Donville and Dartmouth switched to Ham Sonnenfeld. That didn't stop the Cornell goal scorers as they struck three times in the first 62 seconds of the period. Chris Cook, Connor Entenmann and Sean Doyle scored those first three goals, with Henry getting assists on two of them for his first career points. Sten Jernudd also scored for the Big Red in the first four minutes of the final frame.

Cornell concludes the regular season with four consecutive road contests. The team is back in action next at Harvard on Saturday at 1 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines