April 6, 2013

Georgetown Stops St. John's in Battle at Bethpage

from staff reports

Georgetown improved to 2-1 in Big East play by downing 14th-ranked St. John's at neutral-site Bethpage (N.Y.) High School on Long Island.
© Jim Cowsert

BETHPAGE, N.Y. — Georgetown senior midfielder Dan McKinney scored the game-winning goal with 3:24 remaining in overtime, as the unranked Hoyas completed a comeback over 14th-ranked St. John's, winning 14-13 in the Battle at Bethpage III on Saturday afternoon at Bethpage High School on Long Island.

"We made some good plays to even get the ball on our end in overtime," McKinney said. "Coach Rewkowski put out a good game plan and I was just on the receiving end, but overall it was a pretty good team win."

McKinney had two goals and one assist on the afternoon, showing a knack for putting Georgetown (5-6, 2-1 Big East) in front. His first goal came in the fourth quarter, giving the Hoyas a 12-11 lead, its first lead since the first quarter. St. John's (7-3, 2-2 Big East) would surge in front with two goals, taking a 13-12 lead before sophomore midfielder Charles McCormick rebounded his own saved shot and scored with 10.2 seconds left, sending the game into overtime. It was his second goal of the game.

"The goalie got the save the first time, but Charlie kept playing," Georgetown coach Kevin Warne said. "He didn't just play the play, he played through the whistle. He did a great job of being able to catch his rebound, set his feet and let it rip and we were able to play a little bonus time."

Redshirt junior Tyler Knarr, who was named the game's most valuable player, won 15-of-25 face-offs including four-of-five in the fourth quarter and the final face-off in overtime to go with 10 ground balls. Sophomore attack Reilly O'Connor led the Hoyas offense with four goals and one assist. Redshirt sophomore Jake Haley made 13 saves to earn his fourth win of the season.

In the first quarter, sophomore midfielder Joseph Bucci put the Hoyas on the board for the first time, after a game-opening goal from St. John's, with an unassisted goal to tie the score. Bucci's goal started a 3-0 run for the Hoyas. Minutes later, redshirt junior Zac Guy fed sophomore midfielder Grant Fisher, who cut uncontested through the middle and scored with 10:16 left in the first quarter to give the Hoyas a 2-1 edge.

Sophomore midfielder Bo Stafford continued the Hoyas run, finding the back of the cage on a 10-yard shot to put GU in front 3-1 with 8:56 left in the first. The Red Storm responded after a timeout, scoring two goals within a minute, to tie the score at three goals apiece by the 7:23 mark in the first quarter. The teams traded goals for the rest of the quarter. McCormick bounced a shot past the goalkeeper to give GU a 4-3 lead. The lead was short-lived, as St. John's answered with 3:47 left in the quarter. With less than a minute remaining in the quarter O'Connor backed down a defender, spun and scored with a sidearm shot to take a 5-4 lead into the second quarter.

St. John's 4-0 run to start the second quarter, gave them an 8-5 lead and threatened to break the game open. But after a GU timeout, Bucci ended the drought, scoring his second goal of the game with 3:10 mark on an assist from McKinney to bring GU back within two goals. The Hoyas closed the deficit to one-goal, at 8-7 with 49 seconds remaining in the half, as Stafford fed O'Connor for a fast break goal.

Three times St. John's extended the lead to two goals, but the Hoyas stayed within striking distance. O'Connor scored his third and fourth goal of the game, early in the third quarter to help GU keep pace with the Red Storm and senior attack Travis Comeau scored on an assist from Bucci with 3:34 left in the third quarter to bring GU back within one for the third time during the quarter, at 11-10. GU tied the game when senior midfielder Jason McFadden converted the Hoyas extra-man opportunity with 58 seconds left in the third quarter, making the score 11-11, heading into the fourth quarter.

McKinney dodged his way to the center of the field and scored at the 14:07 mark in the fourth quarter giving GU a 12-11 lead, but Kevin Cernuto scored his third goal of the game for St. John's less than two minutes later on an extra-man opportunity to tie the score and McArdle put the Red Storm in front, 13-12, with 6:29 remaining.

With under 30 seconds in regulation the Hoyas forced a turnover and senior defender Patrick Murray picked up the ground ball, flipped it behind his back to McCormick, who shot, picked up his own rebound and scored with 10.2 seconds left in regulation, sending the game into overtime.

Knarr won the overtime face-off, as the Hoyas cleared the ball and called for a timeout. After the timeout McKinney scored with 3:24 left in overtime to give GU its second overtime win of the season and avenge its overtime loss to St. John's from last season.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines