April 20, 2013

Bucknell Finishes Strong to Close Out Colgate

from press release

HAMILTON, N.Y. – David Dickson and Sam Grinberg sparked an 8-1 run to finish the game, vaulting No. 15 Bucknell to a 13-8 win at Colgate on Saturday afternoon at chilly Andy Kerr Stadium. Sean Doyle scored four goals, Dickson dished out four assists and Grinberg made six saves in the final 22:07 as the Bison improved to 11-3 and clinched the No. 2 seed for next week’s Patriot League Tournament.

The Bison had an early 4-1 lead,  but Colgate (8-5) gained control of the game with a 4-0 run to start the second half and had everything going its way at the midpoint of the third period. Bucknell had just turned the ball over twice on clears, took two penalties and found itself behind 7-5 when coach Frank Fedorjaka replaced all-league goalie Kyle Feeney with Grinberg in an attempt to spark the team.

The move paid off, as Bucknell scored two quick goals to pull even, which launched a dominating 8-1 run over the final 20:56. Dickson assisted on four of those eight goals to give him 42 on the year, breaking the Bucknell single-season record, previously held by Chris Cara (40). Only a sophomore, Dickson also moved up one spot into seventh place on Bucknell’s career assist chart with 68. 

Ryan Gutowski kept winning faceoffs – he was 10-for-14 in the second half and 15-for-22 with eight ground balls in the game – and Grinberg kept turning aside shots. He was beaten on the first shot he faced after coming in, after a Bison defender fell down behind the cage allowing Ryan Walsh to come in untouched for a bounce shot. But Grinberg went 6-for-6 after that, including three big stops on reigning Tewaaraton Trophy winner Peter Baum in the final nine minutes. In fact, defenseman Jackson Place and the rest of the defense kept Baum without a goal and just one assist in the game.

Doyle also had an assist in the game, and his four goals and five points both equaled career highs for the freshman. Chase Bailey logged two goals and an assist, giving him a career-high 30 on the season, while Thomas Flibotte scored twice as well. Walsh led Colgate with three goals.      

The victory was the school-record 42nd for this year’s senior class, one more than the previous mark held by the Class of 2011. This is the first class ever to record at least 11 wins in a season twice.

Bucknell led 5-3 at the half after Kyle O’Keefe scored with no time remaining, but the Bison could not sustain that momentum into the second half. They won the second-half faceoff but turned the ball over. At the other end Brendan McCann scored in a flag-down situation, and then on the ensuing EMO Eric Foote scored again to tie it at 5-all. McCann gave Colgate its first lead of the day at the 9:01 mark, and then Matt Clarkson’s tally at 7:07 made it 7-5 and brought Grinberg on.

Bucknell had nothing going its way for the first nine minutes of the half, but that changed when Doyle scored off a cross-crease feed from Bailey with 5:56 left in the third period. On the ensuing faceoff a vicious hit resulted in a flag thrown on the Raiders. Bucknell’s Zach Henkhaus came out of the scrum with the ball and had a possible breakaway chance, but an inadvertent whistle stopped play. On the EMO, Tom Black got the officials off the hook when he scored on a laser from 15 yards out off a feed from Dickson.

Colgate regained the lead temporarily on Walsh’s goal from the side of the cage, but that tally with 3:55 left in the third quarter would be the Raiders’ last of the day.

Bucknell went ahead for good with two goals in the final minute of the third period. First it was Todd Heritage scoring his 30th of the season on a quick-stick from the crease off a pretty feed from Doyle. Peter Burke ripped the net off a Dickson feed with just 3.3 seconds left in the period to put the Bison in front 9-8.

Early in the fourth quarter Dickson threaded passes from up top to Bailey and Doyle, giving Bucknell its three-goal lead back at 11-8 and giving Dickson assists on four his team’s last five goals, including the record-breaker. Bailey and Flibotte closed out the scoring.

The Bison were rolling early in the game and raced out to a 4-1 lead, and it might have been more if not for six saves from Colgate goalie Conor Murphy, who finished with 17 on the day.

Doyle got the Bison started with a pair of unassisted goals. Ryan Joseph scored after a skip pass from Black to make it 3-1. Just 68 seconds later, Flibotte came on for his first shift of the game and immediately whipped in a lefty runner for a 4-1 lead.

Walsh pulled one back for Colgate with a short-sided shot from the right wing late in the quarter. The Raiders cut it to 4-3 on the only EMO chance of the first half for either side, as Matt Baker scored off a feed from Walsh at the 11:33 mark.

The final minute of the half was eventful. The Bison had possession and were working the ball around the perimeter, but they misconnected on a pass at the top of the box. Colgate cleared and played for a final shot, but a strong double team on Baum led to a turnover. Place picked up the ground ball and found long-stick defensive middie Alex Spring on the run. Spring sprinted the ball into the box as the final seconds ticked away, and he picked out short-stick d-middie O’Keefe for a goal at the buzzer. 

Bucknell outshot Colgate 35-34 for the game and won the ground balls 41-29. Gutowski logged eight ground balls – his sixth game this season with eight or more – and Chase Bailey picked up seven. Place and Spring both had four GBs apiece in the defensive end.

Lehigh will host the Patriot League Tournament next Friday and Sunday in Bethlehem, Pa. Bucknell will play the third-seeded team at 4:30 p.m. in Friday’s first semifinal game. The result of Saturday night’s Army-Holy Cross game will determine the third and fourth seeds.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines