Cornell Holds Off Michigan in OT Win

from press release

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Matt Donovan came around the cage and buried his fifth goal of the game with 1:41 remaining in the overtime period to lift the No. 16 Big Red men's lacrosse team to a 15-14 victory over Michigan this afternoon in Oosterbaan Field House in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Donovan's goal came off a great individual effort as he took the ball from behind the cage and dodged left, then rolled back right to get topside. He leaned into his defender before stepping back and blistering the ball over Robbie Zonino's offside hip.

Donovan finished with five goals to lead the Big Red, while Connor Buczek registered four points on two goals and two assists. Dan Lintner tallied his third consecutive hat trick and both John Edmonds and John Hogan finished with two points (one goal, one assist).

Doug Tesoriero became the Big Red's all-time leader in career face-off wins, going 15-of-33 on the day, and picking up a team-high five ground balls.

Michigan won the opening face-off in overtime, but a great poke-check from Tom Freshour got the ball back for the Big Red and after a hit post and a Zonino save, Edmonds came up with a crucial ground ball to keep Cornell's possession and set up Donovan's heroics.

The Wolverines were led by Kyle Jackson's four goals and Peter Kraus' four points on three goals and one assist. Ian King also scored twice, while Mike Francia had two goals and one assist.

Zonino finished with 12 saves, seven of which came in the fourth quarter as Michigan came back from a two-goal deficit to knot the game with 25 seconds to play. Cornell goalieBrennan Donville finished with eight saves for the third straight game.

In a game that was riddled with penalites, including three spate 2:00 unreleaseable infractions, Cornell went 3-of-6 on the extra-man, while the Wolverines went 4-of-8.

The Big Red held the slim edge in shots (46-40) and had more ground balls (43-32), but for the first time all season came up short in the face-off circle as UM won 18-of-33.

Both teams were helped by the static conditions of the field house with the Wolverines clearing 21-of-22 and Cornell going 19-of-22. Michigan also had one more turnover (17-16), including a crucial one in overtime.

Michigan jumped out to an early 1-0 lead when Jackson cracked the scoreboard at the 13:54 mark. Just 14 seconds later, Lintner knotted the game with a man-up goal off a pass from Buczek. Back-to-back goals by the Wolverines put the home team up, 3-1, but the Big Red responded with three consecutive goals to take its first lead of the game at the 3:01 mark. The run began with a goal by Buczek, followed by Lintner's second tally of the day, and ended when Donovan wrapped around the goal and beat Zonino up high to make it a 4-3 game.

Kraus knotted the game a second time at 4-4 with 40 seconds to go in the quarter, but Tesoriero won the restart and Buczek buried a shot with 10 ticks on the clock to send Cornell into the first break with the 5-4 lead.

Cornell opened the second quarter with a great chance but Zonino made a brilliant save and the Wolverines started the break the other way and Mike Francia made it a 5-5 contest.

Cornell had a great chance with a two-man unreleaseable penalty by Thomas Orr, which was highlighted by a 4-on-6 chance for 30 seconds after Brad Lott's third face-off violation in the half, but couldn't fully capitalize with just one goal by Connor Entenmann to make it a 6-5 game.

Donovan gave the Big Red its first two-goal advantage of the day (7-5) at the 8:20 mark, but a two-minute unreleasable Cornell penalty, followed by a 30-second push gave the Wolverines a great opportunity to get back into the contest.

Jackson wasted no time scoring just 10 seconds in but Tesoriero won the crucial face-off. The Big Red turned the ball over but a save by Donville on the other end allowed Cornell to kill the penalty.

Moments after the penalty ended Jackson scored again to make it 7-7 at the 3:46 mark, but Tesoriero won the face-off and found Edmonds, who returned the lead to Cornell just eight seconds later.

Hogan pushed the Big Red's lead back to two with a great individual effort but another man-up goal by the Wolverines, this time off the stick of King sent the team's into the intermission with Cornell up, 9-8.

The teams traded goals to start the third period and Cornell once again had a 2:00 man-up unreleasable opportunity but once again could only capitalize once as Donovan made it an 11-9 contest. Just over a minute later Hogan pushed it to a three-goal game when he worked past his man and scored from close range.

Doug Bryant ended a six-minute scoring drought for UM and just under a minute later Kraus made it a one-goal game (12-11) with a wide open shot at the 5:28 mark.

An extended offensive possession by Cornell ended when Michigan defender Jeff Chu forced a turnover and sent the ball the other way. The Wolverines had a chance in the final moments but Donville came up with a big save to send the visitors into the final break with the 12-11 lead.

Cornell won the opening face-off and had another extended offensive possession but saw Zonino come up with three big saves in a 36-second span to keep UM in the contest. A fourth save by Zonino finally gave possession to the Wolverines but Mike Huttner caused a turnover to give the ball back to Cornell.

Moments later Zonino made another great save, but Donville matched him on the other end and moments later Joe Paoletta rewarded his goalie with his first goal of the game to make it 13-11 with 6:46 to play.

With just over four minutes to play Krause tied the game at 13-13 but Buczek set up the goal with an alley-oop pass to Lintner to put the Big Red up by one.

With less than a minute to play, a Big Red slash put UM man-up and King scored the equalizer to send the game to overtime.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines