Klidonas' Career Day Lifts Hartford Over Manhattan, 12-7

from press release

RIVERDALE, N.Y. – Senior midfielder Tate Klidonas enjoyed a career day on Saturday, leading the University of Hartford men's lacrosse team to a 12-7 win at Gaelic Field. The Hawks, who improve to 2-1 on the season, never trailed in the contest. The Jaspers drop to 0-5 with the loss.

Klidonas racked up a career-high six points, scoring four goals and dishing out two assists. Junior attack Kevin O'Shea also scored four times, boosting his career point total to 88 by adding an assist. Rounding out the Hawks' scorers on the afternoon was Andrew Cacchio, Alex Matarazzo, Jaedon Henderson and Brad Hutton who each reached the back of the net once.

Hartford jumped out to a 2-0 lead just three minutes in as Klidonas opened up the scoring at 13:43 on an assist from O'Shea and Henderson followed suit less than two minutes later. With 8:17 to go in the first, the Jaspers got on the board, cutting the Hawks' advantage in half with a Ryan Payton score.

Before the first period ended, the two teams exchanged blows, allowing Manhattan's Marcel Godino's second unanswered tally to tie up the contest at 3-3 two and a half minutes into the second.

But the Hawks' offense heated up after that game-tying score, reeling off two-straight scores to take a 5-3 advantage into the locker rooms. Hartford kept the pedal to the metal out of the break, opening up an 11-3 lead by adding six more unanswered goals, making it an 8-0 run. O'Shea struck four times in that stretch, opening the second half with a hat trick and capping the surge with 11 minutes left in the third while Klidonas contributed a pair of markers during that 15-minute span.

With 9:31 left in the third, Payton ended Manhattan's scoring drought with his second goal of the game, but Matarazzo put Hartford back up by eight with 2:29 to go in the period, shoveling in his first marker of the year.

The Jaspers closed out the game with three unanswered, with Payton completing his hat trick bid during that span. Andrew Hurst netted the final goal of the contest with 80 ticks left on the clock, but Hartford had already done its damage as the Jaspers would not come any closer than five goals.

Redshirt junior Adam Yee won all but three of his 20 faceoffs to help fuel the Hawks' offense. The midfielder collected 10 ground balls, dishing out a pair of assists in the process. Hartford held commanding advantages in shots (43-29), ground balls (46-26) and converted on two of its four man-up opportunities. The man down unit killed both of its penalties.

In the cage, redshirt senior Frank Piechota made nine saves in 56 minutes. The win saw the debut of sophomore Zack Jones, who made one save and allowed one goal in the final 3:34 of play. For the Jaspers, Rich Akapnitis had 16 saves.

The Hawks wrap-up their two-game road stand on Wednesday afternoon when they head to neighboring Rhode Island to take on the Brown Bears at 4 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines