March 4, 2014

Colgate Rallies to Keep Hobart Winless

from press release

HAMILTON, N.Y. – It was a tale of two halves for the Raiders in a 7-5 win over Hobart on Tuesday.

Down 4-1 after 30 minutes, Colgate responded with a six-goal second half to overtake the Statesmen.

Colgate (4-1) was led by Kevin Adams and his hat trick, which included two of final five scores. His third goal of the game tied the score at 5-5 with 6:27 remaining in the game. Matt Clarkson netted two goals, while Brendan McCann posted two points, one of which was the gamewinner on a great feed from Ryan Walsh.

Walsh saw his 34-game goal scoring streak come to an end, but he picked up the assist to keep his point streak alive at 37 consecutive games. That streak is the fourth-best active one in the country.

Fresh of his second Patriot League Rookie of the Week award, Brandon Burke made six saves with five coming in the first half. He only had to make one stop in the second 30 minutes with the pressure being put on the Hobart defense.

The Statesmen (0-4) got two goals from Zach Reed and a goal and assist from Cam Stone. Reed had Hobart's lone goal in the second half. Peter Zonino had 10 saves in the cage with four coming in the third quarter. He kept the Statesmen in the game with a few great stops in the second half.

Hobart came out firing on the Raiders in a slow start for the home squad. The Statesman scored the first four goals of the game and the 4-0 lead with under three minutes left in the first half. The Raiders had issues clearing the ball in the opening half with just one successful clear in seven attempts.

The four goals scored by Hobart were from four different players and three of the four were unassisted. Stone had the lone assist with a nice feed to Brendan Saylor, which gave the visitors a 4-0 advantage.

Clarkson stopped the bleeding with 3:40 to go in the half with Will Mette getting the assist and the teams went into the locker room at 4-1. Hobart was not dominating the stat sheet like a three-goal lead would dictate. The Statesmen were making their attempts count and had a 17-15 shot advantage in the opening half.

Murphy told his team that the effort needed to change in the second half and the Raiders responded.

Adams started the scoring in the third quarter with the first of three on the day at the 11:39 mark. Reed got that one back for Hobart with his second of the day and with 6:49 remaining. Unfortunately for the Statesman, that was the last time they found the net.

Colgate put a strangle hold on the rest of the game and scored the final five goals with four coming in the last 10 minutes.

Eric Foote got the run started with an unassisted tally at the two-minute mark of the third quarter to cut the lead to 5-3.

Adams then added back-to-back goals with one coming on a man-up chance. He tied the game at 5-5 with 6:27 left. Walsh did some work behind the net and feed Adams out front and he buried it for his third goal of the contest.

McCann gave Colgate the 6-5 lead with 1:40 remaining on a nice show of individual effort. He came from behind the net and beat Zonino with a rising shot for his second point of the day and that proved to be the gamewinner. Clarkson added a little insurance with 18 seconds left with a rocket from the right side to close out the scoring at 7-5.

The defense for the Raiders really clamped down in the second half as Colgate outshot the Statesmen 22-5. Alex Kinnealey should not be a forgotten part of the comeback as he was a perfect 9-for-9 at the X. He really turned it around for the Raiders in the facet of the game as Colgate won only one faceoff in the opening half.

Colgate is back on the field this coming weekend at new Patriot League member Boston University. The game is set for a 1 p.m. start at Nickerson Field.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines