March 4, 2014

Rutgers Upsets No. 20 Army in OT After Slow Start

from press release

WEST POINT, N.Y. – In thrilling fashion, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team upset No. 20 Army in West Point, N.Y., 9-8, on an overtime goal with just 45 seconds remaining from redshirt senior A Scott Klimchak (Clark, N.J.). The Scarlet Knights posted nine goals against a Black Knights defense that ranked No. 1 in the nation by allowing just 5.00 goals per game coming into the contest.

The Scarlet Knights improved to 3-2, while the Black Knights also moved to 3-2 with the loss. Klimchak paced Rutgers with four goals. Senior M Nick DePaolera (Kinnelon, N.J.) also posted four points with one goal and three assists.

The game was knotted, 8-8, heading into overtime. With just 1:46 remaining in the extra period, the Scarlet Knights called a timeout. Coming out of the break, RU put a shot on goal that was saved by Army GK Sam Somers. As the Black Knights attempted to clear after coming out of their own zone, they turned it over on a bad pass.

Rutgers scooped the ball and it was dished to DePaolera. DePaolera sprinted into the Army zone and tossed it across the front of the cage about 10 yards out. Klimchak grabbed the pass and fired it past Somers from four yards out with just 45 seconds to go in the overtime period for the sudden victory goal.

To start the game, Army jumped out to a 5-1 lead, capped with a goal at the 9:11 mark in the second quarter. The lone goal for RU in that span came when senior M Ben Schwing (Medford, N.J.) scored his first goal of the season in the opening period.

The Scarlet Knights had an answer, scoring the next six goals of the game to take a 7-5 lead with 14:09 to go in the third quarter. In that span, Klimchak tallied a hat trick. DePaolera, senior M Steve DiGiovanni (Cranford, N.J.) and junior M Rich Rambo (Abington, Pa.) also scored in the run. DePaolera added two assists.

The Black Knights quickly put the next two on the board and knotted it up, 7-7, with 9:02 left in the third stanza. Freshman A Connor Murphy (Cazenovia, N.Y.) regained the lead for Rutgers, finding the back of the cage with 2:44 on the clock in the third.

Leading 8-7, Rutgers surrendered a goal to Army with 4:52 remaining in the fourth quarter to tie it at 8-8. Neither team would score again in regulation, sending the contest into overtime, when Klimchak secured the 9-8 victory.

The Scarlet Knights are back in action in High Point Solutions Stadium at 6 p.m. Saturday, March 8 vs. Monmouth.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines