March 8, 2014

Warden's OT Strike Leads Fairfield by No. 14 Yale

from Press Release

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Senior Eric Warden (Glen Mills, Pa.) ripped a shot past Eric Natale with 1:26 left in overtime to send the Fairfield University men's lacrosse team off with a 12-11 victory over No. 10 Yale University this afternoon in front of 1,143 fans at Alumni Field. It was Fairfield's first-ever victory over Yale in eight meetings.

Warden's overtime tally was his third of the game with his game-winner coming off a pass from junior Colin McLinden (Madison, N.J.). For McLinden, he finished the day with a career-high six assists and a goal for seven points, also a career-best. In addition, McLinden brought his career assist total to 49 which is good for eighth all-time at Fairfield.

Fairfield (3-2) never trailed against Yale (2-1). Sophomore TJ Neubauer (Glen Arm, Md.) scored just 16 seconds into the game to give the Stags the early lead. Neubauer struck again at the 10-minute mark, putting home a pass from Alex Cramer (Annapolis, Md.) to make it 2-0. Yale's Shane Thornton netted back-to-back goals in a minute-span to tie the game with 6:07 left in the quarter. Conor Dalton (Ellicott City, Md.) broke the stalemate at 4:31 while rookie Jake Knostman (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) made it 4-2 at 3:20. The Bulldogs' Conrad Oberbeck made it a one-goal game with 29 seconds remaining in the period.

The Stags and the Bulldogs went goal-for-goal in the second quarter, but a tally by Knostman at 1:29 sent Fairfield into the locker room with a 7-5 advantage.

Fairfield got the scoring started in the third quarter as McLinden found Warden 48 seconds into the stanza. Oberbeck answered with a goal of his own seven seconds later and followed that up with a goal at 10:35 to pull Yale within 8-7. The Stags posted three unanswered goals on strikes by Dave Fleming (San Carlos, Calif.), McLinden, and Cramer over the next five minutes. Yale gained momentum at the end of the quarter, netting two goals in the final three minutes to pull within 11-9.

With 7:35 remaining in regulation, Yale's Colin Flaherty found the back of the net to make it a one-goal game. Just three minutes later, Mark Glicini scored to tie the game. Both teams had their chances late but couldn't capitalize and headed to overtime knotted at 11-11.

Senior Jack Murphy (Cohasset, Mass.) made nine saves and caused two turnovers while Natale posted five saves for Yale.

Fairfield won 13 of 27 face-offs on the day with Michael Roe (Lutherville, Md.) winning seven and Louie DiGiacomo (Norwalk, Conn.)winning the other six. Roe also had three groundballs. Dylan Levings won all 14 for Yale with seven groundballs. The Stags held a 28-26 advantage in groundballs with junior Max Buchanan (Wyckoff, N.J.) posting a career-high five groundballs.

Fairfield returns to action on March 15 when they host Stony Brook at 1pm on Alumni Field.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines