March 15, 2014

Fairfield Thwarts Stony Brook Rally

from Press Release

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The 19th-ranked Fairfield University men's lacrosse team staved off a second-half Stony Brook University comeback to defeat the Seawolves, 15-13, this afternoon at Alumni Field. TJ Neubauer (Glen Arm, Md.) scored a career-high five goals to pace the Stags.

Neubauer also added an assist for a career-high six points and tied a career-high with four groundballs. Four other Stags recorded multi-goal games. Rookie Dave Fleming (San Carlos, Calif.) posted his first career hat trick along with an assist. Junior Colin McLinden (Madison, N.J.) had two goals and two assists while Tristan Sperry (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) tallied two goals and an assist. Drew Federico (West Islip, N.Y.) had a pair of goals.

Fairfield (4-2) set the tone early, scoring the first two goals of the game while holding Stony Brook (3-4) without a tally until the 1:19 mark in the first quarter. But with 1.4 seconds lefts in the frame, Neubauer put home a McLinden pass for the 3-1 advantage.

The Stags dominated in the second quarter, opening up the stanza with four unanswered goals. After a goal by Stony Brook's Matt Schultz at 6:50, Fleming, Federico, and McLinden scored back-to-back-to-back goals for the 10-2 lead. The Seawolves took advantage of a cross-checking penalty to goalie Jack Murphy (Cohasset, Mass.) and scored a pair of man-up goals in the final 1:23 of the half. The Stags headed into the break with a 10-5 advantage.

Stony Brook came out strong in the third quarter, winning eight of nine face-offs and out-scoring the Stags, 5-3. The Seawolves scored three unanswered goals in a 53-second span midway through the quarter to pull within 12-9. Neubauer answered at 1:27 with an unassisted tally to make it a four-goal game.

Neubauer's goal proved to be important as Stony Brook started the fourth quarter with three straight goals, pulling within 13-12 with 9:04 left in the game. Neubauer ripped home a McLinden pass at 5:41 to make it a two-goal contest. He followed that up with a goal at 1:49 off a pass from Fleming to make it 15-12. Stony Brook's Mike Rooney scored his sixth goal of the game with five seconds left, but the Stags came away with the win.

Murphy made a season-high 15 saves in net for the Stags. Dan Shaugnessey allowed 10 goals and made five saves in 30 minutes while Hayden Johnstone made six saves and allowed five goals in the final 30 minutes.

Stony Brook held a 31-30 advantage in groundballs, including 20 in the second half. The Seawolves won 20 of 32 faceoffs as well. Louie DiGiacomo (Norwalk, Conn.) won six of the Stags' faceoffs with four groundballs.

Senior Toby Armour (New Haven, Conn.) had three caused turnovers and a ground ball while Conor Barr (Wilton, Conn.) had a caused turnover and a groundball for the Stags.

Fairfield returns to action on March 18 when they host No. 15 UMass at 3pm on Alumni Field.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines