March 29, 2014

Quinnipiac Rallies Late to Beat Detroit in OT

from press release

DETROIT -- Michael Sagl's (West Islip, N.Y.) goal with 3:08 seconds remaining in the first overtime gave the Quinnipiac men's lacrosse team a thrilling, come-from-behind 10-9 road victory at Detroit Mercy on Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Bobcats moved to 3-4 overall, but more importantly improved to 2-1 in MAAC play.

With the score deadlocked at nine in the extra frame, Quinnipiac was able to corral the faceoff and move into Titan territory. Pat Corcoran (Stratford, Conn.) had the first crack but saw his shot sail just wide of the net. Ryan Keenan (Oshawa, Ontario) regained possession for the Bobcats, and head coach Eric Fekete decided he was going to use a timeout to set the offense.

A wise decision indeed, on the ensuing play Quinnipiac's junior captain maneuvered his way into scoring position and made no mistake with his effort. Sagl netted his ninth goal of the season, and sent the Bobcat bench in uproar as they celebrated the comeback victory.

Almost as impressive may have been the way Quinnipiac forced overtime at the end of regulation. Trailing 9-8 with less than two minutes showing on the clock, Carmen French (Baltimore, Md.) forced a Titan turnover to redeem possession for the Bobcats. After a successful clear into Detroit Mercy's zone, Dylan Webster (Brampton, Ontario) finished off a pass from Sagl to tie the game up at nine apiece with 1:08 seconds remaining.

The dramatics weren't through there either, as Quinnipiac's defense held strong in the final 60 seconds to secure overtime. Senior goalie Gill Conners (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) was sensational throughout the contest, making his 13th and final save of the game in the waning seconds. He saved 13 of the 21 shots he faced (.591).

Sagl and Corcoran led the attack, each finishing with a goal and three assists in the win. Sagl, who extended his point streak to 26 straight games, added two caused turnovers and a ground ball. Corcoran caused a turnover and picked up two ground balls, and Webster netted this seventh career hat trick and scooped up three ground balls.

Five others Bobcats – Keenan, Matt Diehl (Towson, Md.), Connor Meth (Basking Ridge, N.J.), Tom Gilligan (Brookfield, Conn.) and Henry Graves (Stamford, Conn.) – each found the scoring summary. Keenan netted his 10th goal of the season; Diehl scored his sixth; Meth had his third; and Gilligan and Graves tallied their second.

The game went back-and-forth all afternoon with neither team leading by more than a goal. The score was 3-3 after the first quarter, 6-5 in favor of Detroit after the second and 7-7 after the third. Gilligan netted Quinnipiac's seventh goal to tie the score up at seven apiece with three seconds left in the frame. Meth gave the Bobcats an 8-7 lead early in the fourth quarter but the Titans answered with two goals to retake the lead. That set the stage for Webster and Sagl.

Quinnipiac showed off an efficient offense and a stingy defense – evidenced by the turnover margin. Detroit turned the ball over 19 times – 12 of which were caused by Quinnipiac – compared to 14 Bobcat turnovers. French led the team with three caused turnovers, while four Bobcats – Webster, Zach Vehar (Hudson, Ohio), Chris Kendall (Dublin, Ohio) and Meth – each had three ground balls. Six others had two ground balls.

Detroit Mercy (4-5, 1-1 MAAC) was led by Scott Drummond who finished with three goals and an assist. Alex Maini also had a hat trick with Shayne Adams scoring twice.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines