April 1, 2014

Quinnipiac Edges Stony Brook on the Road

from press release

HAMDEN, Conn. – The Quinnipiac University men's lacrosse team chalked up an impressive non-conference victory on Tuesday night, as the Bobcats outlasted America East foe Stony Brook, 12-11, at LaValle Stadium in Long Island.

The game-winning goal came off the stick of junior Matt Kycia (West Hartford, Conn.), who finished a play that was set up by Michael Sagl (West Islip, N.Y.). That marker broke an 11-11 deadlock and stood strong for the final 6:53 seconds of action. That task in itself proved monumental considering the Bobcats shutdown the nation's 15th ranked offense. The 11 goals allowed was fewer than Stony Brook's season average.

Sagl led the way offensively for the Bobcats, netting his first hat trick of the season. He added two assists to complete his first five-point game this year. He also extended his point streak to 27 straight games, 25 of which he's had multiple points in the contest.

Aiding Quinnipiac's attack was freshman Tom McNaney (Marcellus, N.Y.), who netted his first career goal. McNaney actually finished with two of them while assisting on another, as his second snipe from the point tagged the upper left-hand corner to tie the score up at 11 apiece in the fourth quarter.

Connor Meth (Basking Ridge, N.J.) also had three points which featured a goal and two assists on his stat line. He upped his season-total to nine helpers this year, ranking him second on the team behind Sagl. Ryan Keenan (Oshawa, Ontario), Kycia and Dylan Webster (Brampton, Ontario) each had two points. Keenan netted his 11th and 12th goals of the season, while Kycia and Webster finished with a goal and an assist. Pat Corcoran (Stratford, Conn.) and Tom Gilligan (Brookfield, Conn.) wrapped up the scoring summary with a goal apiece.

Separating these two teams wasn't easy, as neither team led by more than one goal through the entire 60 minutes. Trailing 9-8 midway through the third quarter, back-to-back goals propelled Quinnipiac back in front 10-9 – a score that would hold up through 45 minutes of action. Gilligan scored the first goal with 6:37 seconds left which was followed by Corcoran's lone tally less than two minutes later.

Momentum changed hands quickly in the final frame though, when Stony Brook went back on top with consecutive goals early on. Challen Rogers scored the Seawolves' 10th goal and Matt Schultz netted the 11th goal with 11:13 seconds remaining in regulation. Quinnipiac held Stony Brook scoreless the rest of the way.

McNaney scored with 10:10 seconds remaining in the quarter, and Kycia netted the game-winning goal with 6:53 seconds left in regulation. Between a steady defense and being able to maintain possession in the waning minutes, the Bobcats walked away with its second straight one-goal road victory. Senior goalie Gill Conners (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.) recorded 10 saves for the seventh straight game, to help preserve his nation-leading save percentage (.613).

Credit Quinnipiac's discipline with and without the ball for the result. Offensively, the Bobcats turned the ball over just eight times in the game, while on the other side of the ball, limited Stony Brook's chances on the man-up. The Seawolves own a .513 conversion percentage, but only had one chance by night's end (1-1).

Possession was also key in the triumph. Despite losing the battle on the X (6-21), Quinnipiac capitalized on missed shots and hustled to win 50-50 balls. The Bobcats held the advantage in turnovers as well (12-8).

Stony Brook (4-7) was led by Schultz who finished with a hat trick. Mike Rooney added a goal and four assists.

Quinnipiac returns to action on Saturday, April 4 when it resumes MAAC competition at Monmouth. Faceoff is set for 3 p.m. at Kessler Field in West Long Branch, N.J.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines