April 8, 2014

Henderson Leads Hartford Past Dartmouth

from press release

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Receiving a career day in scoring from freshman Jaedon Henderson, the University of Hartford men's lacrosse team took down the visiting Dartmouth Big Green on Tuesday, scoring a 12-7 victory at Al-Marzook Field at Alumni Stadium. The Hawks finish non-conference play at 5-5 and will resume America East action on Saturday with a 3:30 p.m. matchup at UMBC.

Henderson recorded five goals on the afternoon, netting his first three within a span of seven and a half minutes, to help the Hawks' offense pull away from the Big Green (1-7) midway through the contest. Scoring twice in the final 3:42 of the second quarter, he provided his team with a 5-3 edge at the break, a lead that eventually grew to five goals before the end of the game thanks to his final tally of the contest.

Also enjoying a career outing was redshirt senior Frank Piechota. The Trumbull, Conn. native made 18 saves, a personal-best, including seven second-quarter rejections. Redshirt junior Adam Yee's performance inside of the faceoff circle also highlighted the afternoon as he won 14-of-22 draws, collecting 10 ground balls while adding one goal and an assist in the process.

A 93 second span early in the opening quarter saw Hartford jump out to a commanding three-goal advantage, one it would never relinquish for the remainder of the game. Senior Tate Klidonas got the Hawks' on the board at the 12:45 mark before Yee struck just six seconds later out of the ensuing faceoff to make it a 2-0 lead. Closing out the surge was junior Kevin O'Shea, who netted his team-best 26th goal on a feed from Andrew Cacchio with 11:22 to go in the first, to push his team's edge to 3-0.

Dartmouth woke up, though, and closed out the first with a pair of unanswered scores from Mike Olentine and Cam Lee before tying up the contest at three-all with 8:21 remaining in the second on a Billy Heidt goal. That would be the closest Dartmouth would come to taking a lead as Henderson went off for back-to-back goals to close out the half and provide the Hawks with the two-point margin at intermission.

Despite Dartmouth pulling within one goal on three occasions in the second half, the Hawks held on to their margin. Heading down the final stretch, Hartford, blew open a 7-6 advantage, outscoring the Big Green 5-1 in the final 8:22 to take control of the game and coast to the win.

Four different Hawks contributed to that game-ending run which was sparked by senior Conner Yatauro's 11th goal of the year. Henderson scored twice during that spurt while senior Greg Reynolds and Alec Brown also added goals. Reynolds was the only other Hartford player to finish with multiple goals in the contest as he previously opened up the scoring for the Hawks in the fourth quarter.

O'Shea finished the afternoon with three points, assisting on two goals, while senior Brad Hutton also had a pair of helpers to lead the Hawks in the category. Dartmouth's offense, which held a 45-36 shot advantage, featured seven different scorers. Defensively, sophomore Chris Duffy and junior Brian Monks each recorded two caused turnovers.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines