May 1, 2014

Hobart Knocks Off Top Seed St. Joe's in NEC Tournament

from Press Release

PHILADELPHIA — Senior attackman Jake McHenry scored with 2:22 remaining in the second overtime to defeat top-seeded Saint Joseph's University 10-9 and send the fourth-seeded Hobart College lacrosse team to the Northeast Conference Championship Game. The Statesmen took their only lead of the semifinal on the game winner and scored with 11 seconds left in regulation to force overtime.

McHenry finished the day with two goals and an assist. Senior attackman Cam Stone added a goal and two assists, setting up the game winner to move into eighth place on Hobart's all-time list with 83 career assists, passing Ray Gilliam '87. Junior midfielder Taylor Vanderbeek scored a pair of goals, including the tying goal. First-year faceoff specialist Jake Shapiro was 11-of-22 and grabbed four ground balls.

On defense, senior Peter Zonino played a stellar game, finishing with 17 saves. He was at his best late, making five stops in the fourth quarter and three more in the first overtime, including a kick save on SJU's Ryan McGee with 4 seconds left in the first extra session.

The Hawks (11-4) got a five-goal game from first-year attackman Michael Rastivo. McGee added a goal and two assists. First-year goalie T.J. Jones, who made 13 saves five days ago in SJU's 15-8 win at Hobart, had just seven stops in today's game.

Rastivo had a hat trick on three in close shots by the end of the first quarter, leading the Hawks to a 4-2 first quarter lead. Rastivo added a fourth goal in the second quarter as Saint Joseph's started the frame on a 3-1 run to build a 7-3 lead. Vanderbeek got one back 2:59 before halftime to make it 7-4 at the break.

Hobart's comeback hopes got a big boost coming out of halftime when sophomore midfielder Sam Washburne scored his first goal of the season. He finished off a Hobart clear with a laser under the crossbar at 13:31. Four minutes later, junior midfielder Zach Reed scored to make it a one-goal game. Rastivo notched his final tally of the day to give SJU an 8-6 lead, but first-year midfielder Max Romm scored the final tally of the third quarter to trim the deficit to one heading into the fourth.

Stefaniak tied the game at 8 with 5:31 remaining in regulation, but McGee put the home team back in front with 2:06 left. Hobart won the ensuing faceoff and fired a shot just wide of the post. The Hawks won the backup battle, cleared and called timeout.

The Statesmen deployed the 10-man ride out of the break and forced a turnover. On the ensuing clear attempt, SJU was flagged for a crosscheck, giving Hobart a 21-second extra-man opportunity. Vanderbeek took a feed from McHenry in the left alley and buried a shot from 11-yards out to set up McHenry's heroics.

Saint Joseph's outshot Hobart 50-34, had a 34-25 advantage in ground balls, and finished plus-five in turnover margin. The Hawks were 19-for-19 on clears and the Statesmen were 19-of-21. SJU was 2-for-3 with the extra man while Hobart was 1-for-3.

The Statesmen will play the winner of Bryant-Sacred Heart in Saturday's NEC Championship Game. Faceoff at Saint Joseph's Sweeney Field is scheduled for 1 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines