April 29, 2014

Huge Fourth Quarter Rally Sends Bentley Into Semis

from press release

WALTHAM, Mass. – A 4-0 fourth quarter rally by Bentley lifted them past Southern New Hampshire 8-7 and into the semifinals of the Northeast-10 Men's Lacrosse Championships on Tuesday night. Junior midfielder Brendan Murphy (Wilmington, Mass./Middlesex School) had two goals during the comeback.

The fourth-seeded Falcons trailed 7-4 going into the fourth quarter after a dominant stretch by the fifth-seeded Penmen put them in danger of being eliminated on their home field. But Bentley fought back in the fourth quarter to set up a date with top-seeded Adelphi in Friday's semifinal.

The Falcons took a 4-2 lead at the 10:26 mark of the second quarter on a man-up goal by junior Bobby Hinds (West Hartford, Conn./Conard). But Southern ripped off four straight goals in less than five minutes to go in front 6-4 after a goal by midfielder Rob Murray at the 4:25 mark. That was the score at halftime.

Southern then did it with defense in the third quarter, as its physical play and five saves from goalie Morgan Weireter kept Bentley off the scoreboard. The only goal of the quarter came from Phil LaTorre at the 6:08 mark as the Penmen took a 7-4 lead into the final quarter.

But Bentley turned the tables with its season on the line. A goal by midfielder Steve Caditz (Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) just 50 seconds in made it a 7-5 game. The first of Murphy's two goals came with 12:53 to play, and junior Cutler Dimond (Marblehead, Mass./Tabor Academy) tied the game 7-7 with 7:02 remaining.

A nearly four minute spell without a goal for either team was broken when Murphy found the back of the net with 3:07 to go to give Bentley its first lead since the first quarter at 8-7.

Bentley then came up with two big defensive stops in the closing minutes.

They were called for a 30 second penalty with 1:58 remaining to put the Penmen a man-up, only Southern did not get a shot off. Bentley though turned the ball over on its next possession, giving the Penmen the ball and a timeout with 46 seconds left.

Southern again did not get a shot off, as a caused turnover and ground ball pick up by Tim Cobb (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) gave Bentley the ball back with 27 seconds left. After a successful clear and a timeout, Bentley was able to run out the clock for the victory.

Friday's game against Adelphi will be the second postseason meeting between the two programs since 2012.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines