May 9, 2009

Huge Third Quarters Lifts Midd Over Saints

from press releases

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -   Middlebury outscored St. Lawrence 7-0 in the third quarter to break up a 6-6 tie on its way to a 15-11 win over the Saints in an NCAA Tournament second-round match-up.

The Panthers (14-2), making their 13th NCAA appearance in 14 years, advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals on Wednesday, May 13th where they will travel to Wesleyan for the third match-up of the season with the Cardinals.

Saint Lawrence, participating in their 10th tourney, ends their season with a 13-4 record.

St. Lawrence came out charging, jumping out to a 3-0 lead. John Allen opened the scoring with a blast from the outside, with a nice feed from Alex Slauson. The Saints took a 2-0 lead at 9:37, as Slauson netted his 32nd of the year, backing his defender in before slipping one past Panther goalie Peter Britt. The lead grew to 3-0 with 6:00 left in the quarter, as Scott Smith scored driving down the right side.

Middlebury got on the board as Matt Ferrer scored with an assist from Skyler Hopkins at 4:54. The lead was cut to one with 3:01 left in the quarter as Jack Masur scored his third of the year, faking low and shooting high. Trailing 3-2 in the second, the Panthers tied the game 45 seconds into the quarter when Mike Stone cut left and shot high to record his 51st goal of the season. St. Lawrence went back on top as C.P. Rahe ripped home a shot from the outside, before Ferrer hit a cutting Chris Teves to tie the game at 4-4.

After scoring just two goals this season, Masur netted his second of the half with some great individual moves to give the Panthers a 5-4 lead. The Saints knotted the game as Collin Moon scored his 23rd of the year with a quick turn-and-shoot move down low.  Tom Petty gave Middlebury a short 6-5 lead before Peter Carroll of St. Lawrence scored with nine seconds left, tying the game at 6-6 heading into intermission.

Middlebury's Jeff Begin opened the third quarter run 25 seconds in for his first goal of the season. Pete Smith had a hand in the next three scores, hitting a cutting Hopkins for a man-up tally at 10:10, followed up 18 seconds later with his own goal when Alex Englert gathered the ball and fed Smith, who broke in all alone for the tally. The lead grew to 10-6 with a great cross-crease pass from Smith to David Hild at 8:50. Stone netted his second of the game, Masur added his game-high third goal, while Petty closed the quarter with his second of the afternoon.

Trailing 13-6 in the fourth quarter, St. Lawrence broke up a 19:42 scoreless draught with four straight tallies to get back into the game. Smith scored from just outside the crease to start the run at 10:26, followed by a goal by Rahe and a transition marker from Moon. Nick Woodhull picked up the ground ball on the ensuing face-off, sped to the crease and scored to make it a 13-10 game with 5:34 remaining.

Middlebury answered the run scoring the next two goals, building a 15-10 lead. Smith involved himself in consecutive scores, setting up Matt Virtue for a wide-open tally at 5:03, followed by his own goal at 3:43. Moon capped the scoring for the Saints with his third goal with 22 seconds left in the game.

Middlebury's Smith collected five points, scoring two goals and setting up three more, while Masur added a hat trick. Tom Petty scored two goals and assisted on another, while Stone chipped in a pair of goals for the Panthers. Britt picked up the win in goal, tying a season-high with 15 saves on the afternoon. Moon's three goals and one assist and Slauson's goal and two assists paced the Saints, while Smith and Rahe each netted a pair. Thomas Hollingsworth suffered the loss, allowing all 15 goals while making 10 saves in net for St. Lawrence.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines