March 5, 2011

Defense Leads No. 4 Cortland Over Union

from press release

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Junior Mike Tota (Webster/Webster Schroeder) scored four goals, including three in the first quarter, to lead the nationally fourth-ranked Cortland men's lacrosse team to a 12-3 win over Union on Saturday afternoon at the SUNY Cortland Stadium Complex in a non-conference match up. The Red Dragons improved to 2-0 with the win, while the Dutchmen dropped to 0-1.

Senior Pat Hayes (Mastic/Eastport South Manor) added three goals for Cortland, and senior Jay DiStefano (Huntington/Harborfields) and junior Greg Wright (Irondequoit/West Irondequoit) each recorded one goal and one assist. Seniors Chris DeLuca (Sayville) and Eric Parah (Baldwinsville/C.W. Baker) and sophomore Thomas Casey (Yorktown) scored one goal apiece, while senior Neal Hopps (Akwesasne/Massena) registered three assists.

Sophomore goalie Mike Kaminski (Sayville) made six saves in 54 minutes, 45 seconds before giving way to freshman Scott Tota (Webster/Webster Schroeder), who did not face a shot on goal in the final 5:15. DeLuca won 8-of-9 faceoffs, senior Justin Battino (Plainview) won 8-of-8 faceoffs, senior Justin Schneidman (Katonah/John Jay-Cross River) recorded five caused turnovers and freshman Brian Winterfeldt (Merrick/Calhoun) collected a game-high five ground balls.

Seniors Derek Mayer (Hopewell, NJ/Princeton Day School) and Brendan Kinnane (Little Compton, RI/Portsmouth Abbey) and freshman Nate Greenberg (Westport, CT/Staples) scored Union's goals with junior Nick Alfonzetti (Brewster) and freshman Rob Santangelo (Rye) chipping in with assists. Junior goalie Sean Aaron (Great Falls, VA/Phillips Academy) made 10 saves and allowed 12 goals in 56:26. Freshman Devyn Jefferies (Wilton, CT) stopped one shot over the final 3:34.

Greenberg gave Union its only lead at 10:05 of the opening quarter with a man-up goal. Cortland closed the quarter with four goals for a 4-1 lead. Tota netted back-to-back scores at 9:36 and 5:59, followed by Parah's goal at 5:28. Tota finished the run with 32 seconds remaining on a man-up goal. The Red Dragons outscored the Dutchmen, 3-1, in the second quarter to take a 7-2 lead into intermission. Hopps assisted on Casey's goal at 11:12, and Mayer answered at 10:20.

Hayes closed the stanza with scores at 8:53 and 4:27.
The third quarter featured just two goals and nine penalties. DiStefano tallied a man-up goal at 13:10, and Kinnane netted Union's last goal of the game at 3:01. The Red Dragons closed the game with four goals in the fourth quarter. Hayes scored his third at 12:50, and DeLuca followed with a man-up goal at 10:58. Wright scored at 8:16, and Tota completed the scoring with his team-high sixth goal of the season and fourth of the game with the man advantage at 7:16.

Overall, the game featured 21 penalties -- 12 for Union and nine for Cortland. The Red Dragons went 4-for-13 on man-up chances, while Union was 1-for-8. Cortland out shot the Dutchmen, 39-14, held a 45-25 advantage in ground balls and won 16-of-18 faceoffs.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines