March 12, 2011

No. 13 Dickinson Beats No. 5 Roanoke Again

from press release

– The #13-ranked Dickinson College men's lacrosse team held off a strong start and a late run by #5-ranked Roanoke for a 14-13 win on Saturday afternoon. The Red Devils remain unbeaten, improving to 5-0 on the year while handing the Maroons their first loss of the season (4-1).

The Red Devils struck first off the stick of sophomore Matt Cherry (Radnor, Pa./Radnor) before Roanoke rattled off four straight to lead 4-1 with 7:57 remaining in the first quarter. First-year Brian Cannon (Reisterstown, Md./McDonogh) and sophomore Christian Beitel (Newtown, Conn./Newtown) tallied unassisted goals to cut the deficit to 4-3 at the end of the first.

Dickinson capitalized on a Roanoke penalty early in the second quarter. Cherry fed Pat Curley (Ellicott City, Md./Mt. St. Joseph) for an extra-man goal at the 12:36 mark. The defenses held for the better part of the period. The Devils found the net again at the 4:38 mark when Ward Gruppo (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Prep) connected with Nick Leon (Chevy Chase, Md./Gonzaga) to put the Devils in front 5-4.

Roanoke evened things up with just 15 seconds to play in the half. Jeff Keating scored off an assist from Drew Manley to make the score, 5-5, at the break.

The third quarter saw nine goals go up on the board as the teams battled up and down the field. Beitel gave the Devils a one-goal advantage at the 11:09 mark before the Maroons answered with a pair of goals just 12 seconds apart.

The Red Devils turned a similar trick less than a minute later as Cannon picked up an assist to Beitel, and then scored off a great feed from Kevin Joy (Darien, Conn./Darien) in a span of just 10 seconds to put Dickinson back in front, 8-7. The lead last just 12 seconds before Noah Gibby tied the game off an assist from Justin Tuma.

Keeping with the trend, the Devils added a pair of goals 11 seconds apart to lead, 10-8, with 6:35 on the clock. Cherry scored unassisted before first-year Parker Waldron (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon) won the ensuing face-off and went right to goal. Trey Keeley cut the deficit to 10-9, scoring at the 3:48 mark. The score would stand through the end of the third period.

Waldron gave a repeat performance, taking the opening face-off of the fourth to the cage to put the Devils in front, 11-9, just six seconds into the quarter. Keeley answered again before a three-goal run gave Dickinson some breathing room with 10:24 to play, leading 14-10. Bobby Kingsley (Bethesda, Md./St.Albans) tallied twice during the run while Cannon added an assist and an extra-man goal.

Roanoke wasn't quite finished, however. Joey Coretti scored at the 6:58 mark and Reid Mayberry capitalized on a Dickinson penalty with a man-up goal with 2:32 remaining in regulation. Tuma pulled the Maroons within striking distance, scoring with 2:18 remaining to make the score 14-13.

The Devils would hold on, killing off one more penalty in the final minute to improve to 5-0 on the season.

Cannon led the way with three goals and two assists while Beitel tallied three as well. Waldron won 9-of-19 face-offs and controlled nine ground balls while Chip Murray (New Canaan, Conn./New Canaan) won four on the day. Joy picked-up six GBs to go with his assist. Sophomore defender Peter Zouck (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) controlled six GBs as well.

Sophomore goaltender Greg Hanley (Laurel Hollow, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) made 21 saves, including seven stops in the critical fourth quarter.

Six Roanoke (4-1) players tallied two goals. Tuma and Keeley each added a pair of assists while Tuma won 15-of-26 face-offs. Drew Manley controlled nine GBs while Mike Hardon and Charles Pease combined for 17 face-offs.

The 13th-ranked Red Devils (5-0) travel to Florida next week to face Skidmore College, coached by former Dickinson assistant Jack Sandler and former Red Devil defenseman, Tim Marshall '07.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines