April 23, 2011

No. 6 Dickinson Finishes Perfect in Centennial

from press release

CARLISLE, Pa. – The No. 6-ranked Dickinson College men's lacrosse team secured the Centennial Conference regular season title last week, but closed out the conference schedule unbeaten, holding off visiting Franklin & Marshall, 10-8, on Saturday.
Sophomore Matt Cherry (Radnor, Pa./Radnor) put the Devils on the board early with an assist from first-year Brian Gleason (Darien, Conn./Darien) just 47 seconds into the game. F&M's Matt Gillan tied the game midway through the period, scoring unassisted at the 8:16 mark.
That would trigger a 3-1 run for the Diplomats. Junior Ward Gruppo (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Prep) went straight to goal, finding the net with 2:57 to play in the first period. Tristan Miller and Andrew Setian tallied goals in the final eight seconds to give F&M a 3-2 lead at the end of one.
First-year Parker Waldron (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon) finished on a fast break, scoring off an assist from Gleason. Sophomore midfielder Brandon Palladino (Basking Ridge, N.J./Basking Ridge) set up the play with an interception, feeding Gleason with a lead pass to even the game, 3-3.
The teams traded goals with Gillan finding the net at the 6:34 mark. Gleason added another assist, finding Christian Beitel (Newtown, Conn./Newtown) for the first of his four goals on the afternoon, with 4:14 to play in the half. The Diplomats answered once again, pulling in front, 5-4 at halftime, behind a tally from Connor Hewett.
The Red Devils came out hot to open the second half, trying to gain some breathing room with three goals in the opening 2:02 of the quarter. Sophomore Nick Leon (Chevy Chase, Md./Gonzaga) tallied the first of three unassisted goals just 45 seconds into the third.
Gruppo and Cherry struck at the 13:41 mark and at 12:58, respectively, to give the Devils a 7-5 lead.
Miller pulled the Diplomats within one and Keith Murray tied the game with one second remaining the period as nothing was resolved after three quarters of play.
Beitel took over to start the fourth quarter, netting a natural hat-trick to give Dickinson a 10-7 advantage. He finished an assist from Palladino at the 12:27 mark and netted a pass from Cherry with 11:14 left to play. Beitel finished the trick, scoring unassisted with 6:20 remaining in regulation.
Franklin & Marshall wasn't quite finished for the day. Harrison Jones kept the Diplomats within striking distance, scoring off an assist from Colin McKew with 5:12 still left to play.
The Devil defense would hold, however, for the final of 10-8. Beitel led the attack with four goals while Cherry tallied two goals and an assist, and Gruppo scored twice.
Palladino controlled a game-high six ground balls, causing three turnovers to go with an assist. Peter Zouck (Baltimore, Md./Gilman) controlled five GBs and caused a pair of turnovers. Draper Donley (Lutherville, Md./St. Paul's) picked up four GBs, playing solid on defense with senior John Haire (Darien, Conn./Darien).
Jack O'Connor (New Vernon, N.J./Delbarton) stepped in to face-off, winning four and controlling four GBs.
Sophomore goaltender Greg Hanley (Laurel Hollow, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) made 16 saves , including nine in the second half to improve to 13-1 in the Devil net.
Andrew Setian led the Diplomats (8-6, 3-5), winning 14-of-20 face-offs to go with an assist. Cameron Setian made 12 saves in goal for F&M.
The Red Devils improve to 14-1 overall and 8-0 in the Centennial Conference. They will host the conference tournament next Friday and Sunday at Biddle Field.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines