March 3, 2012

No. 3 Cortland Grinds Out Win over No. 12 Union

from press release

– Senior Greg Wright (Irondequoit/West Irondequoit) and sophomore Cody Consul (Webster/Webster Schroeder) each scored a pair of goals to lead the nationally third-ranked Cortland men's lacrosse team to a 6-4 win versus 12th-ranked Union Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at the Stadium Complex. The Red Dragons improved to 2-0 with the win, while the Dutchmen fell to 0-1.

Wright also added an assist for a game-high three points for Cortland. Sophomore Joe Slavik (Binghamton/Seton Catholic) recorded a goal and an assist, and sophomore defender Brian Winterfeldt (Merrick/Calhoun) netted a goal. Senior Mike Tota (Webster/Webster Schroeder) and freshman Billy Davis (Manhasset) each chipped in with an assist.

Junior Nick Jarvis (Syracuse/Onondaga Central) won 7-of-9 faceoffs as Cortland won 10-of-14 overall. Sophomore Doug Meehan (Sayville) collected a game-high six ground balls, and senior Jack Kennedy (Camillus/West Genesee) scooped up four ground balls. Junior goalie Mike Kaminski (Sayville) made seven saves.

Junior Nolan Connors (Niskayuna) led Union with two goals. Sophomore Rob Santangelo (Rye) contributed a goal and an assist, senior Ted McKenna (Westford, MA/Phillips Exeter) tallied a goal and junior Kyle Christine (Skaneateles) had an assist. Senior goalie Sean Aaron (Great Falls, VA/Phillips Academy) stopped 15 shots and led the Dutchmen with four ground balls. Senior Matt Livingston (Concord, MA/Loomis Chaffee) recorded a game-high five caused turnovers.

Cortland took a 2-0 lead after the first quarter on a pair of Consul goals. He netted an unassisted score at 10 minutes, 57 seconds and then took a feed from Wright and beat Aaron at 9:36. Wright connected for the only goal of the second quarter at 7:16 just 22 seconds into a man-up attempt with Tota collecting the assist, and Cortland led 3-0 at the break.

The Dutchmen closed to within 3-2 after the third quarter. Connors netted an unassisted goal 50 seconds into the quarter and Christine fed McKenna for his goal at 6:55. The Red Dragons pushed their lead to 6-2 with the first three goals of the fourth quarter. Wright finished off a pass from Slavik at 12:49 on the fast break, Winterfeldt scored at 8:02 after an end-to-end clear and Davis assisted Slavik's goal at 6:32.

After a Union timeout, the Dutchmen pulled to within 6-4 as Santangelo scored unassisted at 5:06 and then set up Connors' second goal at 3:49 forcing a Cortland timeout. Jarvis won the ensuing faceoff but Cortland eventually turned the ball over with 2:14 remaining. Union, however turned the ball back over after a successsful clear and Cortland had possession with 1:31 left. The Red Dragons worked the clock and were able to retain possession after an offsides penalty was whistled on Union with 46 seconds remaining. Cortlaand possessed the ball until the 12-second mark but the Dutchmen turned the ball over one last time to end the game.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines