April 7, 2012

St. John Fisher Upsets No. 7 Stevens by Scoring Final Five

from press release

ROCHESTER, N.Y. - The St. John Fisher College men's lacrosse program defeated the highest-ranked opponent in the program's history on Saturday, as the Cardinals scored the game's final five goals to beat No. 7 Stevens Institute of Technology 15-12 at Fisher's Growney Stadium.

With the win, Fisher improves to 7-2 overall and moves into first place in the Empire 8 Conference with a perfect 3-0 record in league play.  The Ducks, who entered the game ranked No. 7 in the national coaches poll, falls to 9-2, 2-1.

Senior Kyle Denhoff scored four of his team-high five goals in the second half to lead the way for Fisher.  He also added two assists.   Mitch Ritchie tallied six points on three goals and three assists, while Connor Henderson totaled five points on three goals and two assists.  Mike Byrnes chipped in with three goals and one assist, while Eric Klein's lone goal proved to be the game-winner with 6:50 left in the fourth.  Goalie Jamie Campagna stopped 10 shots, while Ryan Freije scooped up nine ground balls and was 6-for-8 on faceoffs in the fourth quarter.

It was a back game throughout, featuring five ties with neither team leading by more than two goals until the Cardinals at the very end.

Fisher jumped out to a 3-1 midway through the first quarter, as David Haseley assisted on a goal by Henderson, but the Ducks battled back tying the game at 4s by the end of the first quarter.   Fisher went back up two at 6-4 with 10:05 left as Henderson scored a behind-the-back goal off a pass from Ritchie.  Stevens scored the next three goals, capitalizing twice on Fisher penalties.  Denhoff tied the game at 7-7 with 51 seconds left in the half, but the Ducks scored with 2.4 seconds left in the half to an 8-7 lead at the break.

The Ducks pushed their lead to 9-7 on Rich Dupras' 32nd goal of the year less than two minutes into the third.  Fisher tied the game at 9s on back-to-back unassisted goals by Denhoff and Byrnes midway through the third.

Stevens scored the final two goals on the third to take an 11-9 lead going into the final quarter.   Denhoff scored to make it 12-11 just 37 seconds in the fourth, but Stevens answered again, scoring its final goal of the game just over one minute later.

Henderson started the rally scoring off pass from Denhoff with 12:01 left in the game.  Less than two minutes later, Byrnes knotted the game at 12s with Ritchie assisting.  Klein gave Fisher the lead for good with 6:50.  The 6-foot-4 midfielder used his lanky frame to come from behind the goal to score on a wrap-around to make it 13-12.  After fighting off a 30-second penalty, the Cardinals kept possession for most of the game's final five minutes with Denhoff sealing the win with two goals in the final two minutes.
The fourth quarter was Fisher's best period of the game.   Not only did the Cardinals score six goals, but they were 3-for-3 on clears in the fourth after going just 10-for-15 over the first three quarters.   The Cardinals also committed just three turnovers in the fourth after making at least five in the previous three quarters. Fisher also finished the fourth with a 6-2 advantage in ground balls.

Fisher will return to action at 4 p.m. on Tuesday and will host Scranton University in a non-conference matchup.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines