April 6, 2013

They're Back: Roanoke Upsets No. 7 Lynchburg

from press release

LYNCHBURG, Va. – For the first time since the 2011 ODAC Championship game, the Roanoke College men's lacrosse team defeated nationally ranked #7 Lynchburg College on Saturday Evening. The Maroons, who have received votes in the last two USLA Coaches Poll, now has a record of 8-3; 5-0 in ODAC play, while the Hornets sit with a record of 9-3 and are 4-1 in the ODAC.

The #7 ranked Hornets jumped on the board first, as Austin Stewart netted an unassisted goal at the 12:46 mark in the first quarter. The Maroons began to rally as they put a way three consecutive goals, including two that were nine second apart. Tyler McWilliams scored the first goal at 8:29, then Brayden Gerrie put one a way at 8:20, giving the Maroons a 2-1 lead. Spencer Parsons followed five minutes later with an unassisted goal, to end the first half with a 3-1 Maroon lead.

In the second quarter, both teams put away the same number of goals. Lynchburg opened with four consecutive goals, starting with a man-up goal by Austin Stewart. The next three goals came from Vin Curran, Pat Ohrem and Stewart netted one more. However, despite being behind 5-3, the Maroons began to rally again. Spencer Parsons, Tyler McWilliams each scored a goal within two minutes of the Hornets' last goal. Conner DuBois put away back-to-back goals to reclaim the two goal lead with just 2:49 to play in the half. Lynchburg and Roanoke traded one last goal in the period, as Will Pilat scored in the final 22 seconds to give the Maroons the 8-6 lead after 30 minutes of play.

Lynchburg opened the third quarter with a pair of goals, tying the game at 8-8 at the 6:06 mark. Spencer Parsons scored the go-ahead goal with 1:28 to go in the third, giving Roanoke a 9-8 lead. Through the fourth quarter, neither team could find the back of the net. The Maroons had the ball with just 30 seconds to go, but turned the ball over and Lynchburg called a timeout. The Maroons even put up two penalties, with just a few seconds to play on the clock. With two men down, the Maroons were able to weather to storm, as Lynchburg missed a shot in the final seconds, giving the Roanoke the 9-8 victory over #7 Lynchburg College.

The Maroons were led in scoring by Spencer Parsons, who netted three goals during the contest. He was followed in scoring by Tyler McWilliams and Conner DuBois, who each finished the contest with two goals. The Maroons only dished out three assists, one apiece from Richard Lachlan, DuBois and Mike Hayden. Clarke Lewis led the team in groundballs finishing the night with six. Charles Pease picked up the win between the pipes, playing all 60 minutes and tallying 14 saves.

The Hornets were led in scoring by Austin Stewart, who put away three goals on the night. He joined by five different teammates who found the back of the net to make up the Hornets' eight goals in the game. Lynchburg also tallied four assists, each coming from a different player on the squad. Tommy Kestermann finished the game with seven groundballs that led all players in the contest. Adam Davey was tabbed with the loss in net, giving up nine goals and making eight saves.

The Maroons led in faceoffs (18-9) and saves (14-8), while Lynchburg held the narrow advantage in ground balls (33-32).

The Maroons next challenge comes on Tuesday, April 9th, as they play host to #3 Stevenson University, in a match that was rescheduled from earlier in the season. That contest will take place in Kerr Stadium with a start time of 7:00 PM.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines