April 27, 2014

Five-Goal Third Sparks Husson Uprising

from press release

FARMINGTON, Maine - Husson University's five-goal uprising in the third quarter gave the fifth-seeded Eagles command of the game in a 12-6 win over the fourth-seeded University of Maine at Farmington, in Sunday's North Atlantic Conference Men's Lacrosse Tournament First Round game at Prescott Field. Junior Vinny Visconti tallied three goals for Husson (5-7), who now advance to Wednesday's NAC Tournament Semifinals against Castleton State College. Sophomore Brandon Corbo charted two goals and four assists, while senior Kevin Nolan had two goals and two assists.

Brett Martin also recorded two goals for Husson. James Seager, Jack White, and Brandon Bosse each had one goal for the Eagles.

Sophomore Nathan Chase logged two goals and one assist for UMaine-Farmington (4-7), with senior Brandon Melvillealso recording three points with his one goal and two assists.

Seniors TC Peters, Jake Linkletter, and Michael Keim each had a goal to aid the Beavers' cause. Linkletter was also credited with an assist.

After a see-saw opening quarter, Husson scored three goals in the span of three minutes-and-19 seconds late in the second quarter, and went into the intermission with a 5-2 lead. White, Corbo, and Nolan accounted for the Eagle scoring during the run, which gave Husson a lead it held the rest of the way.

The Beavers cut the margin to two goals, 5-3, on Chase's score at the 12:22 mark of the third quarter, but that would be as close as Farmington would get.

Bosse and Martin found the back of the UMF goal at the 8:48 and 6:24 marks respectively in the third before the Beavers could respond. Linkletter's score with 4:41 showing on the clock briefly interrupted the Husson run, which continued with goals by Visconti, Seager, and Nolan before the end of the quarter.

Each team scored twice in the final frame, but UMaine-Farmington was unable to cut any deeper into Husson's lead.

UMaine-Farmington outshot Husson by a narrow 34-33 margin, only after peppering the Husson goal during a frenetic fourth quarter. Husson had a commanding 59-44 advantage in ground balls, and controlled 18 of the game's 21 face-offs.

The two teams combined for 28 penalties for 24:00, with Husson accounting for 22 of those penalties for 19:00.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines