April 30, 2014

Ithaca Rebounds, Downs Ducks in Rematch

from press release

ITHACA, N.Y. – The Ithaca College men's lacrosse team (13-4) used a 4-1 run in the third quarter to secure an infinite lead and defeat visiting Stevens Institute of Technology (8-8) 9-7 Wednesday afternoon in Empire 8 semifinal action at Higgins Stadium. The 16th-ranked Bombers advance to host the championship on Saturday, May 3 against St. John Fisher (12-4) at 4 p.m.

Mirroring the 2013 season, Ithaca fell in its regular-season finale to the Ducks before edging them in the conference semifinals. Ithaca, who is making its 11th straight appearance in the E8 Championship Tournament, has won the conference crown twice in 2002 and 2008.

Ithaca held a 2-1 gap after the first, but a 3-1 Stevens showing in the second led to a 4-4 deadlock at the half. The Bombers netted four of the five goals scored in the third for an 8-5 advantage entering the final frame. Ithaca scored early. Stevens surged with back-to-back goals late in the game to cut within two, but Ithaca regained possession following a Stevens shot at the one-minute mark and ran out the clock in its offensive zone.

Despite the loss, the Ducks controlled three major statistical categories leading shots 42-36, ground balls 37-28 and faceoffs 14-5.

Stevens netted the game's first goal at the nine-minute mark, but senior Casey Schattner made his first of a career-best three caused turnovers en route to classmate Andrew Kristy tying the game at 1-1. Freshman John Januszkiewicz capitalized on a feed from junior James Manilla at 5:45. The duo struck again two minutes into the second. Stevens won the ensuing faceoff and crept within one, 3-2, before again exchanging scores. Senior Jake Long tallied on a Januszkiewicz assist at 12:10 and the Ducks answered at 9:11. Three penalties followed before Stevens recorded a man-down goal to even the score at 4-4.

With Stevens serving a penalty that resulted in no faceoff to open the third quarter, Long found the crosse of senior Ryan Burns for the go-ahead man-up goal at 14:26 that set the tone for the period. Senior Brandon Henne and freshman Justin Bird tallied just 16 seconds apart for a 7-4 cushion at the 12-minute mark. The Ducks snapped their scoring silence at 7:17, but Manilla went unassisted to reinstate a three-goal gap at 2:09.

Senior Pat Slawta accounted for the Bombers' lone fourth-period goal two minutes into the quarter. Stevens posted back-to-back goals at 3:36 and 1:55, but it was too little too late.

Sophomore Scott Sidnam made his sixth double-digit save performance of the season collecting 11 stops between the pipes.

Henne won four faceoffs and junior Matt Greenblatt added one. Sophomore Eli Gobrecht scooped up seven ground balls for the Bombers. Manilla and junior Jimmy Ryan chipped in four each.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines