April 30, 2014

John Carroll Trips Mount Union

from press release

ALLIANCE, Ohio - Continuing its historic season the John Carroll University men's lacrosse team wasted no time clinching the program's first conference tournament win.

The third-seeded Blue Streaks returned the favor to the Purple Raiders in the OAC Semifinals with an 8-6 win on Wednesday afternoon in Alliance, Ohio. Mount Union had beaten John Carroll two weeks ago 8-6 in the regular-season meeting in University Hts., Ohio.

"It was a great team win and great monumental stepping stone for our lacrosse program and athletic department," said head coach Brian Small.

JCU improved to 13-3 while UMU fell to 12-5.

John Carroll, who never trailed, jumped on the board when Daniel Kincaid beat Mount Union goalkeeper Collin Peters with 11:18 remaining in the first quarter.

Mount Union's Jack Wesner netted the equalizer just over eight minutes later to tie the score at one. Declan O'Grady made sure the score did not stay tied for long.

The freshman, and top goal scorer in the OAC, took a feed from Michael Roth and put JCU up for good with 2:10 remaining in the first quarter.

The Purple Raiders' threatened coming back to a 1-goal deficit four times during the game.

Senior Brian Jaszka led a fury of scoring in the fourth quarter. Jaszka started the rapid fire of three goals in a 24 second span pushing JCU's lead to 6-4 with 10:29 left in the game.

Kyle Patterson won the ensuing faceoff sending the Blue and Gold on the fastbreak with Jackson Twomey striking for a goal nine seconds later to push the John Carroll lead to three.

Derek Thomas kept the fast and furious scoring up with the third goal in the stretch. Thomas beat Brian Bedell with 10:05 remaining in the game.

Mount Union snuck in a man down goal with 9:18 left in the game as Andrew Dorman fed Jack Moran to cut JCU's lead to 7-6.

O'Grady responded capping the hat trick with 7:01 remaining.

John Carroll's defense took over from there limiting Mount Union to just three shots in the final seven minutes.

The Blue Streaks held on to the ball with Patrick Carney coming up with a caused turnover and a ground ball with 4:16 remaining in the game to give possession back to the JCU. Alex Spratke helped out the defense coming up with a ground ball with 1:32 left in the game.

"We have been preaching all week about first time ground balls and what a better way to cap off the game with two huge ones by Patrick and Alex," said Small.

Needing one more stop Bedell had the answer turning Thomas away with 10 seconds remaining. The freshman finished with six saves.

Said Small, "I have known Brian's family for a long time and he comes from championship pedigree and that championship pedigree really shined today in his play and leadership."

John Carroll advances to play Otterbein on Saturday, May 3 for the OAC Championship. Opening faceoff is at 1 p.m. in Westerville, Ohio. The game will be played on the Otterbein soccer field.

Said Small, "To be going to the championship in our first year is very exciting and its even more exciting to get to finish the OAC where we started at Otterbein."

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines