March 14, 2009

No. 8 Georgetown Sneaks Past No. 3 Duke

from staff reports

Washington, D.C. - A late save from Caitlin Formby (Towson, Md./Notre Dame Prep) proved to be the difference for the No. 8 Georgetown University women's lacrosse squad Saturday as the Hoyas defeated No. 3 Duke (6-2), 12-11, at Multi-Sport Field. The win marked GU's first over the Blue Devils since 2004 and the first for Head Coach Ricky Fried. Georgetown improves to 4-2 on the season after playing the top three teams in the country in the past week.

"Today was a team effort," said Fried. "I thought that we came out and played close to 60 minutes. It's my first win over Duke here at Georgetown which means a lot to me and to our seniors, especially since every year it seems to be a one to two goal game, this year we managed to get it done."

Ashby Kaestner (Trappe, Md./Saints Peter and Paul) started the scoring for the Hoyas, but Duke answered with a pair of goals. Contrary to earlier games in the week, Georgetown managed to limit most Duke runs keeping the team within striking distance for the entire contest.

Ten minutes in, Allie Hubschmann (Short Hills, N.J./Oak Knoll) and Molly Ford (Reisterstown, Md./Notre Dame Prep) each found the back of the net a minute apart but Duke had an answer from leading scorer Caroline Cryer to tie it at three.

The Hoyas managed to close out the half with goals from Ford and Jordy Kirr (Baltimore, Md./Bryn Mawr Academy) to take a 5-3 lead at the break.

Duke gained momentum in the second half scoring early and often. However, despite three goals in the opening seven minutes, GU countered with two of their own. Notching scores were Megan Bloomer (Paoli, Pa./Conestoga) and Kirr to make it 7-6 Duke with 23 minutes to go.

After both squads buckled down on defense to force six scoreless minutes, Hubschmann tied it up with an unassisted tally. Unfortunately, the Blue Devils answered with four quick scores forcing the Hoyas to stare at a two-goal deficit with just nine minutes remaining.

The Georgetown offense did not go silent in the face of adversity when Ford took a perfect pass from Kirr to cut the lead to one a minute later. After missing her previous attempt, freshman Kelly Barnes (St. David's, Pa./Radnor) stepped up and connected on an eight-meter shot to tie it up and force the crowd at Multi-Sport Field into a frenzy.

At 3:40, Kirr scored her third goal of the day on the unassisted tally for the go-ahead goal as GU looked to be in control.

The Hoyas attempted to stall but lost the ball and it looked like Duke would have a chance. Kirr had a little left, however, knocking the ball out of Duke keeper Kim Imbesi's stick behind the cage. Kirr picked it up and sailed it to an attacking Ford for the goal to give Georgetown a 12-10 lead with 1:26 left on the clock.

Off of the ensuing draw control, Duke gained possession and Carolyn David managed to find the back of the net as the Blue Devils had thirty seconds and one last chance. Duke won the final draw and passed it down to Cryer for the shot, Formby made her biggest play of the day, however, stopping it with her stick to hold on for the 12-11 victory.

"I have to give credit to everyone," said Fried. "Our defense played great and I thought both of our midfields played outstanding games. Rotating two different lines in allowed us to stay fresh, the staff and I had confidence in both sets on the field."

Georgetown was outshot 28-18 but had 14 ground balls to Duke's eight. The Hoyas trailed 14-10 on draw controls and had one more turnover. Formby had eight saves in the net and the win, while Imbesi notched four stops.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines