April 1, 2009

No. 12 Terriers Nip No. 18 UNH

from press releases

DURHAM, N.H. - Sarah Dalton scored six second-half goals to spark the 12th-ranked Boston University women's lacrosse team to Wednesday afternoon's 9-8 come-from-behind victory against 18th-ranked University of New Hampshire in America East action at Memorial Field.

UNH, which entered the game with a 10-game home winning streak, is now 7-4 overall and 1-2 in America East. BU won its fifth consecutive game overall to improve to 7-3, 2-0.

Trailing 4-0 at halftime, the Terriers opened the second half with goals by Dalton at 28:17 and 27:17. Dalton struck again at 25:18, this time from close range off Erica Baumgartner's pass from behind the net, to pull the visitors within 4-3 and force UNH to call a timeout.

New Hampshire's Sarah Von Bargen (East Setauket, N.Y.) scored her second goal of the game - 45th of the season - at 24:28. BU goalkeeper Rachel Klein stopped the initial shot by Michaela Hardy (Reading, Mass.), but Von Bargen snared the rebound and deposited a close-range shot high into the net.

The Terriers scored five consecutive goals in an eight-minute span to take an 8-5 lead. Dalton scored at 21:03 when she maneuvered from the right side to the top of the fan and fired a low shot inside the right post to make the score 5-4.

She scored her - and the team's - fifth goal of the game at 20:08 when she converted Corcoran Downey's pass from the right side into a goal from the middle of the fan. BU took its first lead of the game, 6-5, at 19:20 on a goal by Traci Landy, who side-armed a shot from the right side inside the near post.

Almost immediately off the draw, BU's McKinley Curro was awarded a free position, but her low shot from the left wing was stopped by UNH goalie Kate Gunts (Wilton, Conn.).

With 18 minutes on the clock, Hardy was given a free position at the other end of the field, but her attempt from the left wing was denied by Klein. At 16:30, Von Bargen curled from behind the net to the right post, but Klein was in position to deny the high shot.

Boston University extended its lead to 7-5 with a free-position goal at 14:40. From the top of the fan, Hannah Frey scored with a low shot to the right side. Dalton scored her sixth goal of the game at 13:38 when she caught Landy's pass on the left wing, pumped twice as if to shoot and then finally rolled a low shot inside the left post.

UNH trimmed the deficit to 8-6 on a Susie Piotrkowski (Franklin, Conn.) goal at 12:29. She curled from behind the net to the left post and scored from close range.

BU responded with Baumgartner's goal 63 seconds later to reestablish a three-goal advantage.

Kaplan lifted the ‘Cats within 9-7 at 8:12 with a goal from the left wing. She then pulled the home team within one goal, 9-8, at 2:30. With the ball deep on the right wing, she moved with the deception of going behind the net, but then cut back to the right post and fired a shot into the upper-right corner.

The Terriers won the ensuing draw control and, despite a few balls hitting the turf, maintained possession in the offensive zone the rest of the way to secure the victory.

Gunts finished with  career-high 11 saves, including six the in second half. Klein was credited with eight saves in both halves for a total of 16.

Kaplan led the ‘Cat attack with three goals and an assist. Ashley Durepo (Concord, N.H.) recorded her 100th career point with the second of her two goals, and she now has 74 goals and 26 assists for 100 points. Defensively, Kelli LaPerch (Brewster, N.Y) tallied three ground balls and two caused turnovers while Beth Stankus (Derry, N.H.) had three CTO and two GB. Allie Duclos (South Windsor, Conn.), who entered the game ranked second in the nation in draw controls per game, controlled five draws.

New Hampshire recorded the edge in shots (33-25) and ground balls (18-10), and also committed fewer turnovers (16-19). BU had a 10-9 advantage, including 10-4 in the second half, in draw controls.

UNH recorded a 17-8 shot advantage in the first half in building a 4-0 lead. Kaplan opened the scoring 56 seconds into the game on a free-position goal from the top of the fan.

Durepo fired a free-position shot from the top of the fan into the upper-right corner of the goal to give the ‘Cats a 2-0 lead at 22:27.

With 14 minutes on the clock, BU's Landy drove on a free position from the top-left of the fan, but was denied by Gunts. Less than three minutes later, Gunts made another strong save when she denied Xan Weitzel's wraparound attempt at the left post.

At 9:00, UNH's Hayley Rausch (Severna Park, Md.) aimed low on a free position from the top of the fan, but Klein scooped up the ball to keep the differential at two goals.

Three minutes later, Piotrkowski's shot from the middle of the fan ricocheted off the right post, and then at 4:30 Klein turned aside Kaplan's low bid from the left wing.

Von Bargen and Durepo struck 11 seconds apart - at 1:28 and 1:17 - to give New Hampshire a 4-0 lead. From behind the net, Kaplan found Von Bargen cutting from the left side to the middle and she placed a shot inside the right post. Durepo then tallied her 100th career point when LaPerch won the draw control and quickly moved the ball to Durepo, who raced down the middle and fired a shot into the upper-right corner.

Prior to this game, the last time the ‘Cats shut out an opponent for an entire half was April 28, 2004 (Vermont; 1st half).

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines