April 3, 2009

Epic: Georgetown Slices Orange in Four OTs

from press releases

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In the longest game in program history, the No. 8 Syracuse women's lacrosse team lost to No. 6 Georgetown, 11-10, in four overtimes on Friday, April 3 in Washington D.C. It is the Orange's first loss against a BIG EAST opponent in regular-season play since its conference opener against the Hoyas in 2007.

The first half featured back-and-forth action as neither team could pull away. Senior Megan Mosenson (Malvern, Pa.) gave Syracuse (8-3, 3-1) an early lead with a goal at the 25:37 mark, before Georgetown (8-3, 3-0) answered with Molly Ford's goal with 22:48 remaining. A Hoyas' turnover on a clearing attempt led to Mosenson's second goal with 19:38 remaining, but Georgetown tied the game 36 seconds later when Jordy Kirr found the back of the net.

The Orange responded with three goals that gave SU its largest lead of the first half, 5-2, with 13:31 left on the clock. Junior Halley Quillinan (Glenmont, N.Y.) netted her first goal of the game at the 17:37 mark, and then assisted on Tee Ladouceur's (Slingerlands, N.Y.) goal. Mosenson netted her third goal of the game off an assist from junior Christina Dove (Bel Air, Md.) to give Syracuse a three-goal lead. The Hoyas scored two straight to pull within one, 5-4, with 10:45 remaining, but Quillinan found the back of the net with 13 seconds on the clock as the Orange took a 6-4 advantage into the locker room at halftime.

Georgetown scored twice in the first five minutes of the second half to tie the score, but Syracuse responded with four straight goals to take a 10-6, lead at the 14:50 mark. Ladouceur, Quillinan, Dove and senior Katie Rowan (Delmar, N.Y.) each scored during the run as the Orange built its largest lead of the game.

Mary Beth Brophy found the back of the net on a free position attempt to cut the lead to 10-7 and started Georgetown on a 4-0 scoring run, capped by Ashby Kaestner's goal at the 10:35 mark that tied the game, 10-10. The Hoyas had a chance to break the tie when Kastner was awarded a free position attempt with 3.4 seconds left in regulation, but Syracuse goalkeeper Liz Hogan (Victor, N.Y.) stopped the shot to force overtime.

The Hoyas had the best scoring chance in the first overtime, which consisted of two three-minute sessions, but Hogan saved Kelly Barnes' shot with 17 seconds left on the clock, sending the game into a sudden-victory second overtime period. Both teams had offensive opportunities in the second and third overtimes, but neither squad could find the back of the net. In the fourth overtime, Kaestner was awarded a free position with 12 seconds left on the clock. She put her shot past Hogan to give the Hoyas the one-goal victory.

"We fought hard to the bitter end," said Syracuse head coach Gary Gait. "It was a shame either team had to lose."

Mosenson and Quillinan led the Orange with three goals and one assist each. Mosenson now has 88 goals in her career, which ranks 10th on SU's career leader list. Ladouceur finished with two goals, while Dove recorded a goal and two assists. Kirr led Georgetown with three goals.

Georgetown outshot Syracuse, 34-29, and won 16-of-27 draw controls. The Hoyas also held a 16-11 advantage in ground balls. Hogan finished with nine saves, while the Hoyas' Caitlin Formby had 11.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines