February 19, 2011

Fairfield Women Down Monmouth 11-6

from press release

WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. - The Fairfield University women's lacrosse team opened its 2011 campaign with an 11-6 win at Monmouth University on Saturday afternoon.  The Stags, 1-0 on the year, have now won their season opener in each of head coach Mike Waldvogel's three seasons.

The Hawks, 0-1, jumped out to a 3-0 lead just under 12 minutes into the game, as Molly O'Brien scored twice and added an assist on the third goal.  Fairfield's offense found its rhythm with a three-goal spurt in 68 seconds of action to tie the score 3-3.  Melanie Raso scored the first goal of her collegiate career, unassisted, to start the run with 11:35 to play before halftime.  Katie Mackay tallied the next two goals, 40 seconds apart to knot the score with 10:27 to play in the half.  Fairfield continued the run through the end of the period.  Amanda Best put the Stags ahead 4-3 at the 5:57 mark and then Chloe Mangan scored  consecutive goals in the final minutes of the half for a 6-3 lead at the break.

O'Brien handed out her second assist of the game 4:17 into the second-half as Monmouth cut Fairfield's lead to 6-4, but the Stags would not allow Monmouth any closer.  Caitlin Townsend answered that tally with two of her own, including the eventual game-winner, within 1:31 of each other to put the Stags ahead 8-4.  Mangan added three goals for the Stags in the final 7:46, sandwiched around two Monmouth goals, to give Fairfield its final margin of victory.

Mangan led all scorers with six points, touching net five times and handing out one assist.  The sophomore also had three draw controls and a caused turnover in the win.  Raso led the Stags with five draw controls and five ground balls, as well as causing three turnovers and her goal. Mackay finished with three points, scoring twice, while Townsend had a pair of goals.  Brittany Bare collected four ground balls and caused three turnovers, to go along with two draw controls.

Katie Keenan minded the net for all 60 minutes for Fairfield, recording five saves in the victory.  She also recorded two ground balls and caused a turnover.  Kirby Mundorf made 15 saves for Monmouth in goal, also playing the entire game.

Fairfield outshot Monmouth 38-14 for the game, as well as holding an advantage in ground balls, 18-15 and draw controls, 11-8.  Fairfield committed fewer turnovers, 22-13, and had a 14-7 edge in caused turnovers.

The Stags return to action on Friday, February 25 when they host Quinnipiac in the program's 2011 home opener.  Game time is set for 3 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines