March 11, 2011

Monmouth's D Stifles Binghamton

from press release

- Monmouth University's women's lacrosse team (4-1) used five unanswered second half goals coupled with a solid defensive effort to overcome Binghamton University (1-5) on Friday evening.

MU, which is off to its best start since 2000, has won four straight contests. The Hawk defense allowed just four goals, the lowest total since the 2008 regular season finale against Mount St. Mary's.

"I thought it was a huge defensive battle today," said head coach Denise Wescott. "Our defense did a great job forcing them into bad shots while Kirby came up with some great saves too. Binghamton did a nice job of taking Molly and Rachel out of the game with double teams but it allowed Tori and a few of the others an opportunity to step up. Our defense did a great job holding their drives, holding the crease and stopping crease rolls. We really didn't give them an opportunity to score inside today."

Monmouth erased a one-goal first half deficit in explosive fashion, scoring six unanswered goals to take a commanding 6-2 lead with just over five minutes remaining in regulation. Senior Rachel Feirstein (St. James, N.Y./Smithtown East) scored an unassisted goal to knot the game up at 2-2 just 1:13 into the second half. Sophomore Tori Jordan (Sewell, N.J./Washington Twp.) tallied back-to- back goals over a 1:43 span to regain the lead for Monmouth at 4-2. Defender Gianna D'Urso (Fairfield, N.J./West Essex) and senior Molly O'Brien (Kennett Square, Pa./Unionville) added goals to give MU a 6-2 lead with 5:35 left in regulation.

Senior goaltender Kirby Mundorf (Cambridge, Md./Seton Keogh) and a veteran MU defense had to fight off a late Bearcat attack, with Binghamton cutting the lead to three on an Ali Castigle goal at the 4:05 mark. Binghamton, which held an 8-4 advantage in draw controls for the game, earned the ensuing draw and took four consecutive free position shots, none of which found the back of the cage. Moore added a late goal to cut the lead to 6-4, but could not score again despite a number of late chances.

The first half was a defensive battle with Binghamton scoring a late goal to take a 2-1 lead into halftime. MU's Carissa Franzi (Fairfield, N.J./West Essex) scored her third goal of the season to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead at the 25:27 mark of the opening frame. Binghamton's Lis Zuern tied the game up with 2:25 to play before Beth Moore gave the Bearcats the lead with nine seconds left in the first half.

Mundorf turned away 10 shots, marking her fifth consecutive game this year with double-digit saves. Franzi ended with one goal but had four ground balls and a turnover in the game. O'Brien finished with a goal and an assist and a pair of caused turnovers while Jordan had two goals and a pair of ground balls.

The Hawks are now 2-2 all-time against the Bearcats. Binghamton netminder Lauren Scott had 15 saves as the Bearcats held a 29-27 advantage in total shots. Moore led BU offensively with a pair of goals. Monmouth returns home on Sunday when it hosts Saint Joe's University at 1 p.m. on Kessler Field.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines