April 29, 2011

Fairfield Beats Iona, To Play for MAAC Title

from press release

- Despite not scoring for nearly 30 minutes of game action, the Fairfield University women's lacrosse team netted eight second-half goals to advance to the championship game of the 2011 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Lacrosse League Championship with a 10-8 win over fourth-seeded Iona College. The Stags, the top-seed improve to 13-4 on the year and will take on second-seeded Canisius College in the title game on Sunday at noon on the Iona campus.

After scoring the first two goals of the game, within the first seven minutes of action, the Stags did not score for nearly 30 minutes. Katie Mackay snapped the scoring drought with her second free position goal of the game 5:12 into the second-half, tying the score 3-3. Chloe Mangan followed that 2:18 later to give the Stags a 4-3 lead, which Melanie Raso extended to 5-3 with an unassisted tally at the 21:43 mark.

Iona, which scored its first three goals in a 10:30 span in the first-half, ended its own nearly 11 minute scoring drought with a Caitlyn Collins free position goal at 21:19 to make to 5-4. Nina Veneziale tied the game for the fourth-time, 5-5, on a goal with 17:46 remaining in regulation.

Jenna Slowey put the Stags back in front with 12:40 to play in the period, 6-5, after Amanda Best made a diving pass to start the Fairfield clear. Mangan gave the Stags a 7-5 lead, with 10:58 remaining, as she put home her second goal of the game. Raso netted a free position shot with 9:34 to play to give Fairfield its largest lead of the game, 8-5. Fairfield won the ensuing draw control and Best gave the Stags a 9-5 advantage, from a Brittany Bare pass, with 8:49 to play.

Iona snapped the 4-0 Fairfield run with 6:15 remaining in regulation on an Elizabeth Coholan tally, but Mackay answered back 77 seconds later for a 10-6 lead. Coholan scored a free position goal with 3:05 to play to get the Gaels back within three, 10-7, and to within two, 10-8, on a Collins free position goal 30 seconds later.

Mackay netted a hat trick to lead the Stags effort, while Raso and Mangan both struck for two goals. Bare and Best each netted a coal and handed out an assist on the day. Mangan corralled seven draw controls in the game as the Stags held a 14-6 advantage for the game.

Katie Keenan made eight saves in the game, with seven coming in the first-half to earn the win. Renee L'Heureux controlled four draws, picked up two ground balls and caused a turnover in the victory. Olivia Ziegler had two ground balls and a team-high two caused turnovers in the victory.

Collins led Iona with three goals and an assist, while Coholan added two goals and an assist. Maria Ortiz made five saves in net for the Gaels.

The Stags jumped out to a 2-0 lead just under seven minutes into the contest. Brittany Bare started the scoring with a tally 2:40 into the contest, netting a pass from Best. Just over four minutes later Katie Mackay netted her first of the game, unassisted, for the two goal advantage. It would be the Stags last goal of the period however, as Iona scored three goals in the final 13:10 to take a 3-2 lead into the intermission.

Mackay snapped the Stags drought, and tied the game 3-3, 5:12 into the second-half with her second free position goal.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines