April 14, 2012

Late Bucknell Run Sinks Binghamton Women

from press release

VESTAL, N.Y. – The Binghamton women’s lacrosse team fell to visiting Bucknell 16-12, Saturday afternoon in a non-conference matchup at the Bearcats Sports Complex. The Bearcats (3-9) dropped its fifth straight contest as the Bison (4-11) closed out the game on a 4-0 run, breaking a 12-12 tie with less than ten minutes to play. Junior Katherine Hunsbergertied a career-high with four goals to lead the Bearcats.

In the first half, the Bearcats raced out of the gates scoring just 49 seconds into the game as junior Kristen Stone picked up a loose ball and beat the goalie stick side. From there, Binghamton went on a 4-1 run to take a 5-1 advantage at the 19:51 mark. Following Stone’s goal, Lis Zuern cleared the defense on the ensuing draw control and streaked down the left side of the fan beating the goalie, giving BU a 2-0 lead less than 30 seconds later.

Bucknell would answer, but goals by freshmanRenee Kiviat, Stone and Hunsberger gave Binghamton the four-goal cushion. Stone beat a pair of defenders on an isolation play, while Hunsberger used a beautiful spin move inside the eight-meter and fired a rocket into the net. The two teams traded goals making the score 6-2 with 17:20 to play, when Bucknell used a 5-1 run to close out the half knotting the game at seven heading into the half. 

The Bison continued their run early in the second half stringing together three goals while holding the Bearcats scoreless over the first ten minutes of the half. Down 10-7 with 19:09 to play, Binghamton responded when Kiviat found freshman Emma Hayes-Hurley inside the fan for the score. Hunsberger added her third goal of the game after wrapping around the net and firing a low liner past the goalie. Binghamton cut the deficit to one, 10-9 at the 18:19 mark. Bucknell answered right back, but Hunsberger won the ensuing draw control, raced past the Bucknell defense and netted her fourth goal of the game. A Stone goal just under a minute later finally evened the game at 11 with 16:29 remaining.

Following a Bucknell goal, Zuern used a well-timed stick check while the goalie was trying to clear the ball forcing the Bison net minder to lose possession. The senior from Cicero, N.Y. scooped up the loose ball and fired into the open net. Binghamton once again tied the game, this time at 12 with 7:17 to play.

Bucknell called timeout following the hectic play and utilized the break to their advantage, going on to score four goals in four minutes putting the game out of reach for the Bearcats.

Stone and Zuern each netted a hat tricks for Binghamton, while Hayes-Hurley added a pair of goals. Hunsberger had an impressive eight draw controls, while adding two caused turnovers and ground balls.

Binghamton continues its break for conference play as they travel to the state capitol region to take on Siena on Tuesday, April 17 at 4 p.m. The Bearcats and the Saints have met six times with each team winning three games apiece. Binghamton won the last meeting 15-7 on March 14, 2008 in Vestal.


comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines