March 4, 2013

Mount St. Mary's Shuts Out Delaware State

from press release

EMMITSBURG, Md. -- The Mount St. Mary's women's lacrosse team cruised to an 18-0 victory over Delaware State on Monday in the Mount's 2013 home debut at the Waldron Family Stadium. It was the first time the Mount shut out an opponent since a 23-0 road win over Saint Francis (Pa.) on March 28, 2008.

In the process, the Mountaineers (1-4) earned their first victory of the season and scored double-digit goals for the first time this year. The Mount built a 12-0 lead by halftime and tacked on six goals in the final 30 minutes to send the Hornets to 0-4.

Junior Lindsay Diaz provided the offensive punch with four first-half goals and one assist to power the Mount's offense, which saw 13 different players score on the day. Diaz leads the team and ranks third in the Northeast Conference with nine goals on the season.

The Mount struck early and often with two goals in the opening minute from Mary MacAdamand Megan Gluck. Four minutes into the game, the Mount built its lead to 4-0 on strikes from Diaz and Erin Seipp.

Diaz went on to score three of the Mount's next four goals to give the home side a commanding 8-0 lead with 20:55 to go in the opening half. The other goal during that stretch came off the stick of Bridget McGann, her first of the season.

Hayley Tomilson scored for the second-consecutive game to go with Allie Fife's strike at the 17:25 mark for a 10-0 edge. Aubrey Rubino ended the half with two unassisted goals to give the Mount a 12-0 halftime advantage.

The Mountaineers outshot the Hornets 22-2 in the first half and held a 31-2 advantage for the game.

The second half played out like the first with the Mount having its way offensively while keeping DSU off the scoreboard. Nicole Snyder got the offense going in the second half with her first career goal, followed by Molly Morris tallying the first two goals of her collegiate career for a 15-0 lead.

Over the final 11 minutes of action, Kaitlyn Larrimore scored once and dished out an assist to Hannah Gutcher, followed by Sam Sparr's goal with just under four minutes left for the 18-0 final.

Sparr led the Mount in ground balls with four and caused turnovers with three. As a team, the Mount secured 16 draw controls to DSU's four and picked up 23 ground balls to the Hornets' six.

Sarah Jane Leder and Steph Rurkowski combined for the shutout with Leder making one first-half save for the win and Rurkowski playing the second half. For the Hornets, Rhian Sellers made six saves on the day.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines