March 16, 2013

George Mason Goes Fox Hunting; Rallies Past Marist

from press release

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - The George Mason lacrosse team trailed Marist at the half but used a furious second period, outscoring the Red Foxes 8-5, to come-from-behind and grab the win, 10-9, on Saturday at Tenney Stadium. With the win, Mason improved to 3-4 on the season, while Marist dropped to 1-6.

Tied at 8-apiece with 11:25 left to play in the contest, Allie Hilderbrandt put Mason ahead by one scoring her 14th goal of the season as the Patriots held the narrow lead for the next nine minutes until Rachel Obregoncushioned the lead with her 16th goal of the season. Obregon's tally would prove to be the game-winner as Marist's Allison Gionta scored with 39 seconds on the clock for the final 10-9 score.

Both Caitlin Formato and Hilderbrandt led Mason in scoring recording their second hat tricks of the season. Obregon added two goals, while Katie Mascolo and Kirstin Russell posted one goal each. Kate Tangemanrecorded a team-best four ground balls and three caused turnovers as Obregon and Formato each picked up three ground balls.

Mason outshot the home team 31-24, but Marist won the edge in ground balls (13-10) and draw controls (13-8). Amanda Tuck led the Red Foxes with three goals, while Kirsten Viscount and Ashley Miller each contributed two goals.

Marist led at the halftime break 4-2 as the home squad opened the first half with two unanswered goals with just five minutes ticked off the clock. Mason responded scoring its only two goals of the period from Hilderbrandt and Formato to tie the game at 2-all with 16:10 left in the period. The Red Foxes closed the half with another pair of goals to carry the halftime lead.

Mascolo opened the scoring for Mason with just over a minute expired into the second half to slice the score to 4-3. However, Marist used two unanswered goals to reclaim a 6-3 advantage with 24:14 left to play. Formato snapped the streak before Viscount registered a tally at the 21:52 mark for a 7-4 contest.

Mason would score the next six of eight goals, including four straight, to close out the game. Formato jumpstarted the run with an unassisted goal at 19:30 as four different Patriots scored in the 4-0 run that lasted not even six minutes and put Mason on top 8-7 with 13:43 on the clock. Tuck tied the score at 8-8 before Mason scored two of the final three goals to claim the victory.

Mason now begins a five-game homestand after closing out this road swing. The Patriots return to Fairfax to open the home stretch against Liberty on Wednesday, March 20 at 2 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines