April 5, 2013

Murray's Overtime Blast Zips Richmond

from press release

AMHERST, Mass. - Cori Murray scores the game-winning goal with 1:57 remaining in the second overtime to secure the victory as No. 13 UMass women's lacrosse defeats Richmond, 12-11, Friday evening. Murray scored both the game winning and tying goals for the Minutewomen., while Katie Ferris and Sam Rush netted three goals apiece. With the win UMass extends its conference-winning streak to 22 games.

UMass (10-2, 2-0 A-10) outshot Richmond 31-21, with both teams putting 19 shots on net. Ferris led the Minutewomen with five points, adding on two assists to her hat-trick. Rachel Vallarelli earned the win making eight saves in just over 70 minutes of play, two of which came in the decisive second overtime.

Defensively, Kelsey Sheridan led with a career-high five groundballs in addition to three draw controls and three caused turnovers. Kelsey McGovern tacked on three caused turnovers of her own while also adding six draw controls.

Richmond (3-9, 0-2 A-10) was led by Jennifer Zoltoski who was a perfect three-for-three, netting three goals on three shots. Caitlin Fifield added three points of her own on two goals and an assist. Michaela Aymong, who came in for the starter Emily Boyce, took the loss despite only allowing four goals and saving six.

Taylor Blazer was a defensive force for the Spiders leading the team in ground balls (6), draw controls (7) and caused turnovers (5).

Richmond jumped out the early lead when Bailey Zerr scored her 14th of the season just under a minute into the game. The Minutewomen answered at 27:29 in the first half when Lauren Terracciano her 22nd of the season on the helper from Tanner Guarino.

Each team scored once more before UMass put together a string of six goals in a row. Rush scored all three of her goals during that stretch on two free position shots and an assist from Melissa Carelli, bringing the Minutewomen lead to 8-2.

Richmond closed out the first half on a last second goal from Fifield, to cut the deficit to five.

After each team put one in the back of the net to start the second half, the Spiders scored seven unanswered to lead 11-9 and held the Minutewomen scoreless for over 24 minutes, before Ferris cut the Richmond lead to one with 1:03 remaining.

Murray went on to score her first of the day and 22nd of the season 19 seconds later to bring the game even at 11.

Richmond had an opportunity with time winding down in regulation but the UMass defense stood pat to for overtime.

The first overtime went by with the Minutewomen forcing a key turnover before taking the only shot of the period.

Going into the sudden-victory second overtime Vallerelli made two big saves on both Richmond shots, before Murray put the game away on a shot past Aymong.

The Minutewomen will be back in action again on Sunday April 7 as they take on George Washington from McGuirk Alumni Stadium. The opening draw is schedule for 1 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines