April 7, 2013

No. 13 Minutewomen Hold Off George Washington

from press release

AMHERST, Mass. - The No. 13 UMass women's lacrosse team held off a second half come back attempt by George Washington on Sunday afternoon for a 10-9 win at McGuirk Stadium to remain undefeated in league play this season. The Minutewomen blocked a free position shot with seven seconds left to hold on for the one-goal win. UMass' Katie Ferris had three goals and three assists in the game to tie the program's all-time career points record of 226 alongside Jackie Lyons.

The Minutewomen improve to 11-2 overall and 3-0 in the Atlantic 10, while George Washington falls to 7-5 overall and 2-1 in league play. For UMass, the win marked the 23rd consecutive victory over Atlantic 10 foes and the 17th straight home win at McGuirk Stadium.

Along with Ferris' six-point effort, UMass was led by Sam Rush and Ellie Bullitt who each had two goals in the game. Lauren Terracciano also had a goal and an assist to lead the offense. Kelsey McGovern and Kelsey Sheridan anchored the defense with three caused turnovers and three groundballs each, while McGovern also added five draw controls.

George Washington was led by Rachel Mia who had three goals and an assist. Jamie Bumgardner had four assists, while Alli Rash had two goals and two assists. Goalie Jess Hicks took the loss after making six saves.

UMass outshot the Colonials 24-to-13 and held a 22-to-14 advantage in groundballs. Both teams played tough transition defense as UMass was just 5-of-13 on clearing attempts and the Colonials were 8-of-12.

The Minutewomen took a 7-3 lead into halftime thanks in part to a Terracciano goal with four seconds to go in the first half. The Colonials regrouped at halftime and scored just eight seconds into the second half before adding another score just over four minutes later to pull within 7-5 with 25:21 to go.

After Rush's second goal of the game put UMass back up by three, the Colonials scored three straight and held the Minutewomen scoreless for 15 minutes to tie the game 8-8 at the 19:11 mark.

Ferris scored back-to-back goals at the 17:43 and 5:23 marks to put the Minutewomen up 10-8.

George Washington won the ensuing draw control, but Sheridan forced a turnover giving possession back to UMass who looked to run time.

The Minutewomen were aided by a yellow card to Lindsey DiAntonio with 3:23 to go putting the Colonials a man-down.

With 1:14 to go, Terracciano took a shot on the doorstep of the crease, but Hicks made the point-blank save. That set up a goal by Mia pulling the Colonials within one, 10-9 with 47 seconds to go.

Julia Lawson won the next draw control for George Washington advancing the ball into the Colonials offensive zone. She ripped a shot just left with 32 seconds to go, however, GW backed-up the shot to keep possession. With 11 seconds left, Mia was sent to the 8-meter line for a free position shot after drawing a UMass foul. She charged in from the left hash mark, but three UMass defenders quickly closed from her left hand side blocking her shot which went left of the goal.

Neither team was able to regain possession of the loose ball as time ran out.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines