March 9, 2014

Stanford Caps Huge Rally With 2OT Game-Winner

from Press Release

In-Game Blog Replay


WASHINGTON, D.C. – The No. 19 Stanford women's lacrosse team rallied from a six-goal second-half deficit to beat No. 14 Georgetown, 11-10, in double overtime on Sunday to earn back-to-back road victories over ranked teams.

Lucy Dikeou scored the unassisted winner 2:14 into sudden death to complete a run of seven unanswered goals that began with 19:16 left in the second half with Stanford facing a 10-4 deficit.

The dramatics weren't limited to Dikeou's winner. Trailing 10-9 in the final seconds of regulation, Stanford emptied its net in a desperation attempt to tie the score. The opportunity came when Alexandra Crerend was fouled with one second left, just after picked up a ground ball in the eight-meter arc. Her free-position shot scored to make it, 10-10, and force overtime.

It was the second consecutive dramatic last-second free-position goal for Stanford, which beat No. 11 Towson, 8-7, on Friday after Hannah Farr scored as time ran out for the first-overtime half.

In the first overtime, Georgetown drew a free position, but Stanford goalie Lyndsey Munoz denied Natalie Miller's shot and Farr picked up the loose ball and the first six-minute overtime, which is played to its entirety, ended scoreless.

In the second overtime, Georgetown won the draw, but Farr again came to the rescue, stripping a Hoya player in Stanford's own defensive end and picking up the ground ball to launch an attack. Just a minute later, Dikeou scored her only goal of the game for the winner.

Stanford (5-1) swept its three-games in five-days road trip that began with a 19-5 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation opening victory at Fresno State. It also was Stanford's third overtime contest in four games, having lost at home to unranked Vanderbilt, 16-15, on March 2.

Rachel Ozer scored three goals and had one assist for Stanford, which gave up the first five goals and never led until Dikeou's winner. All seven goals during Stanford's decisive run were scored by different players, including freshman Kelsey Murray, who sparked the surge.

Stanford was held scoreless for the game's first 23:13, but the Cardinal returned the favor by holding Georgetown (3-2) scoreless for the game's final 32:03.

Big performances came from Farr, who had two goals and three draw controls, and defender Megan Lerner, who had three ground balls. Crerend also had two draw controls.

Stanford is now 2-0 against ranked opponents. The Cardinal takes a 12-day break from competition for Dead Week and finals before resuming action Saturday, March 22, for its MPSF home opener, against Saint Mary's at noon.

After that, Stanford returns to the East Coast to play at Cornell on March 25 and then travels to No. 13 Notre Dame on March 29 for a rematch of Stanford's 8-7 victory in the first round of last year's NCAA tournament.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines