March 29, 2014

Princeton Explodes in Overtime to Beat Cornell

from press release

PRINCETON, N.J. - The Princeton women's lacrosse team defeated Cornell 10-7 in overtime en route to earning the program's 400th victory on rainy day on Sherrerd Field at Class of 1952 Stadium on Saturday, March 29.

Freshman Olivia Hompe had a six-point game with five assists and junior Erin McMunn scored four goals. Senior Sarah Lloyd scored twice and added an assist while junior Erin Slifer hda a goal and two helpers. Junior Annie Woehling made six saves in her fifth consecutive victory.

The methodical game went back and forth with six ties and seven lead changes in the game.

Cornell took a 2-1 lead 10 minutes into the game but two goals by Mary-Kate Sivilli and McMunn within 50 seconds of each other put Princeton on top 3-2.

The Big Red went on a 3-0 run with Lindsay Toppe scoring twice and Catherine Ellis getting her first of the day to regain the lead at 5-3.

Hompe set up Lloyd with a goal with just under eight minutes to play.

It would be quiet up until 14.8 seconds left when Slifer buried the equalizer on a Cornell turnover and failed clear.

Toppe put her team back on top with a goal in the opening minutes of the second.

McMunn called a play and made it happen as she charged around to the front and Hompe hit her with a feed from behind the goal to knot it at 6-6.

Ellis scored her third of the day when she dashed by her defender and put away her team's seventh goal at 13:07.

Lloyd and Hompe paired up again with a man-up goal after a yellow card to Amanda D'Amico. D'Amico was called for an offense foul when she took a shot on goal that hit Lloyd in the head.

Another big play on defense came from sophomore Liz Bannantine when she forced an offense charge with five minutes to play and the game tied at 7-7.

Woehling made one of her bigger ssaves of the day on a free-position attempt with 3:50 to play that would give Cornell the lead. Instead she picked up a ground ball for the Princeton possession.

The Tigers didn't make a move to goal and was holding for the final shot, which they got when McMunn was given a free-position with 13.2 seconds left in regulation. However the shot was blocked to extend the game.

Princeton won four of four draw controls in the six-minute overtime period, setting up a successful finish. Slifer won two, while Lloyd and freshman Amanda Leavell won one each.

Sophomore Alexandra Bruno was given a shot from the eight-meter with 21 seconds left before the teams would change ends. Instead of taking the shot she elected to pass off to Doherty who was on the weak side and she went high on goalie Renee Poullot for the goal.

Slifer won the next draw to herself and launched the ball down the field where McMunn picked it up and sprinted unimpeded to goal to give Princeton a 9-7 lead - it's first two-goal lead of the game.

After Leavell won the next draw all the Tigers had to do was hang on to the ball and run time off the clock. They did just that before Hompe decided she wanted to score one for herself, after assisting on five others, and buried a pass from Lloyd with 5.9 seconds left.

Lloyd won the final draw before the buzzer sounded for a 10-7 Princeton victory.

Toppe finished with four goals for Cornell, while Ellis has two. Poullott stopped nine shots in net.

Princeton, now 6-3 on the season and 2-1 in the Ivy League, hosts Yale next Saturday, April 5 at 1 p.m.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines