April 30, 2014

Longwood Defeats Campbell in Big South Quarterfinals

from Press Release

FARMVILLE, Va. – Junior Kasey Norwood/Chantilly set new career highs with seven goals and 11 total points to help lead the No. 3 seeded Longwood University women's lacrosse team to an 18-7 victory against No. 6 Campbell University (7-9) in the quarterfinal round of the 2014 Big South Conference Championship on Wednesday afternoon in Farmville. Despite being delayed a total of almost four hours due to heavy rain and lightning, the contest that was slated to begin at 1 p.m. got underway for good just before 5 p.m. and the Lancers outscored their opponents, 12-3, in the first half to pull away en route to the decision. Longwood (9-9) advances to the semifinals of the conference tournament to square off against No. 2 Davidson College on the campus of No. 1 High Point University in High Point, N.C. on Friday, May 2 at 7 p.m.

"We were excited to get the game in today," said head coach Elaine Jones. "The team did a great job of staying focused throughout the whole rain delay and then during the game. I thought it was a nice team effort on the defensive end, and also especially on the offensive end, as 16 of our 18 goals were assisted. I credit the players with staying sharp from 11:15 a.m. when they arrived, through 6:30 p.m. when the game ended. Now we can turn our attention to preparing for our semifinal game."

Norwood also added four assists in the contest. Sophomore Katie McHugh/Burke registered five goals and one assist for six points, while senior Lauren Prasnicki/Lexington added one goal and four assists for five total points. Senior Mary Barondess/Centreville (3 goals, 1 assist) and sophomore Sarah Butler/Oakleigh South, Victoria, Australia (1 goal, 3 assists) helped fuel the Lancers' offensive effort with four points apiece, while juniors Sarah Arndt/Pasadena, Md. and Liz Trainer/Ellicott City, Md. notched three and one points, respectively.

When the game first got started after the initial three-hour delay, Longwood jumped out to an early, 1-0 lead thanks to a McHugh-Barondess connection. However, rain and lightning in the area suspended play once again for almost another hour before the teams were able to take the field and action continued for good. After play resumed, the Lancers recorded three consecutive goals, including a pair from Norwood and one from McHugh that was assisted by Norwood, to take a 4-0 edge. The Fighting Camels got on the board at 17:45 in the first half, but the home squad retaliated with an additional three goals, giving Longwood a 7-1 advantage at 12:44. CU scored once more before Arndt dished a strong pass to Barondess for a shot on target that would spark a five-point rally for the Lancers to make it a 10-goal margin. Although Campbell found the back of the net with just seconds remaining in the period, Longwood took the 12-3 buffer into the break.

Coming out of halftime, Norwood cut towards the net to score unassisted before feeding Arndt for the shot on goal to give her squad a 14-3 lead. The Fighting Camels gained control of the momentum over the next 15 minutes, battling back with four unanswered goals to cut the difference to seven at 14-7. The visitors would not come any closer, though, as the Lancers tallied four goals in the waning minutes of the match with two from Norwood and one from both McHugh and Prasnicki to seal the 18-7 decision.

Wednesday's contest marked just the third meeting ever between Longwood and Campbell in the sport of women's lacrosse. The Lancers now lead the all-time series, 3-0.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines