March 2, 2010

No. 11 Babson Upends No. 8 Union in OT

from press release

- First-year Taylor Kralovenec (Cos Cob, Conn.) scored the go-ahead goal with 16.3 seconds remaining in overtime to lead the Babson College women's lacrosse team to a thrilling 11-10 victory over visiting Union College in a high-powered season opener featuring two nationally-ranked programs.

With the win, Babson, ranked 11th in the nation in the season's first two IWLCA polls, started off at 1-0, while Union, ranked eighth in the country, begins the year at 0-1.

Babson was led by senior captain and two-time All-American Anna Collins (Winchester, Mass.), who finished with three goals and one assist, and sophomore Trisha Babson (Duxbury, Mass.), who also recorded three goals and one assist while picking up three ground balls. Kralovenec added a pair of scores in her collegiate debut, junior Alyssa Hood (Newport, R.I.) posted one goal and one assist, and senior captain Kaitlyn Pettengill (Hopkinton, Mass.) tallied four groundballs and four caused turnovers. Junior goalie Sarah Macary (Woodbury, Conn.) was outstanding in net for the Beavers, finishing with eight saves.

Union's defeat spoiled an otherwise magnificent start to the season for junior All-American Kristin Joyce (Longmeadow, Mass.). The star attack celebrated a return to her home state by leading all players with seven goals - five of which came in the second half and overtime. First-year Whitney Flynn (Concord, Mass.) chipped in with two goals for the Dutchwomen, junior Chelsea Charette (South Hadley, Mass.) added three assists, and junior Melissa Hine (South Hadley, Mass.) contributed one goal and one assist. Junior Cat Ruggiero (Huntington, N.Y.) went the distance in net for Union, finishing with four saves.

After a Hine goal tied the game at 4-4 with 7:18 left in the first half, the Beavers rattled off three straight free position scores - one by Collins and two by Babson - to take a 7-4 advantage. After carrying that three-goal lead into the break, Babson increased its lead to 8-4 on a Pettengill strike at 28:13.

Charette assisted Joyce on back-to-back scores over the next two and a half minutes to pull the Dutchwomen back to within two, but Collins netted her third of the game to give the hosts a 9-6 lead with 23:17 remaining. Neither team would score for the next 17:30, as the Beavers maintained their three-goal advantage heading into the final six minutes of play.

After managing just six goals in the first 54 minutes of action, the Union offense caught fire at the end of regulation, scoring three unanswered goals to send the contest into overtime knotted at 9-9. Joyce scored the first two - one on a free position at 5:47 and another off a Hine feed at 3:37 - and Flynn added an unassisted tally that evened the score with 1:36 remaining.

Joyce scored her seventh goal of the game on another free position with 56 seconds left before the crossover in the first overtime session, giving Union a 10-9 edge. The two teams then switched ends before Babson sent in her third of the game on a free position opportunity, pulling the Beavers even at 10-10 with 2:46 left.

Union possessed the ball for more than a minute down the stretch before a errant pass from the end line was tracked down by Babson first-year Jamie Spang (Kennebunk, Maine) near midfield. She collected the ground ball, raced into the offensive zone, and found Babson at the top of the fan with less than 20 seconds remaining. Babson then fed found Kralovenec just outside the Union crease, and the rookie made a quick move before depositing the ball into the upper left corner for the eventual game-winning score with 16.3 seconds remaining. Pettengill would gain the ensuing draw control and the Beavers would run out the clock en route to the dramatic 11-10 victory.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines