High School Boys

May 28, 2010

National High School Boys' Notebook: Four-Peat in South Carolina; Haverford Wins Inter-Ac

by Jeff Seidel | Special to Lacrosse Magazine Online


Another year, another title for the Greenville (S.C.) Red Raiders.

Greenville won its fifth consecutive South Carolina High School League state championship recently with an 11-9 victory over Wando.

The Red Raiders now have beaten Wando in the title game four years in a row. In addition, this was their seventh straight trip to the state finals.

Greenville didn’t have an easy time in this championship game, holding a one-goal halftime lead and then hanging on for the title.

“We just ended up outlasting them, I think,” said Greenville coach Shane LeCroy. “They were coming on strong."

Greenville finished the season with a 14-2 record, and it got help from a number of players in the final and semifinal.

All-American goalie Taylor Reynolds made 19 saves in the finals after getting 21 stops in the semifinal victory over Riverside – also an 11-9 game.

Fellow All-American William Walker led the way in the championship game with four goals and one assist, and defenseman Adam Lorenzen turned in a solid effort against Wando.

Andrew Milks helped in the final four with a total of six goals and two assists. Faceoff specialist Colin Stafford had a spectacular final two games, winning 86 percent of his draws and helping the Red Raiders constantly retain possession.

LeCroy said he set up a tough schedule during the season to get ready for the playoffs. Plus, their success in past years has gotten other teams fired up to play Greenville – and the Red Raiders knew it.

“It’s very difficult,” LeCroy said. “Every game, all season long, we took everybody’s best game.”


Glenelg was playing in its third state title game in the last four years earlier this week, but the Gladiators came up a little short.

Queen Anne’s scored in the final minute for a 7-6 victory over Glenelg in the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association’s Class 2A-1A state championship game Tuesday night at UMBC Stadium.

Glenelg finished with an 18-3 record and had to do a lot of work in the finalfFour. First, the Gladiators played a stubborn Patterson Mill team in the state semifinal that wouldn’t them do much offensively for long stretches.

The Huskies were content to hold the ball for a long time in the first half, which ended with Glenelg up, 3-1, but not in charge.

“They took the air out of the ball a little bit,” said Glenelg coach Josh Hatmaker. “We had to be more patient…in the second half.”

The Gladiators were just that and took command en route to an 11-3 decision.

Scott Wheeler scored twice early in the third quarter to help Glenelg take charge. Zach Wynne sparked the Gladiators with a game-high three goals and four assists.

But Glenelg ran into some bad luck in the finals against a Queen Anne’s team that lost to Pikesville last year in the title game.

The Gladiators fell behind before taking the lead with a quick three-goal run in the fourth quarter. But Queen Anne’s tied it and won on a goal with 28 seconds left...

Also in the Mid-Atlantic region, the Haverford School earned its second straight Inter-Ac Lacrosse Invitational Championship with thrilling a 7-6 overtime win over Episcopal Academy on Wednesday night at Cabrini College’s Edith Robb Dixon Field.
Junior midfielder Matt Walters scored two goals, including the game winner in the first overtime session. Junior midfielder Brendan McGrath also scored two goals for Haverford in the victory. 
Senior attackman Chase Growney netted two goals and handed out two assists for Episcopal Academy in the loss. Episcopal Academy’s six goals were contributed by five different goal scorers. 


Fairfield Prep coach Chris Smalkais reached an impressive milestone recently.

The long-time coach at the Connecticut school won his 300th career game earlier this month when his team rolled to a 19-4 victory over Amity.

Smalkais deflected credit for the achievement when talking to the New Haven Register, saying the victories meant simply that he’d been around for awhile.

“The wins are not about me, it’s about our program,” he said. “It’s a tribute to all the players who played in our program.”


St. Joseph’s and Culver Military both advanced to the state semifinals in Indiana this weekend.

For St. Joseph’s, it was a 12-9 victory over Noblesville that pushed it to the state final four, according to Sportszonemichiana.com. Will Corrigan, Kyle Jessup and Matt Mackey each scored three goals apiece in the victory.

Tyler Wolgamott helped in goal with 16 saves.

Culver Military had an easier time during its 18-7 victory over Indianapolis Brebeuf. The Web site also reported that Brandon Benn and Bud Graham each scored four goals in the victory.

Goalie Coltan Armitage finished with 17 saves.


Cherry Creek won its 11th Colorado state title recently with an 11-4 victory over Regis Jesuit, according to westsidelax.com.

This was Cherry Creek’s first Colorado High School Activities Association championship in four years, and Kendall Williams led the way with four goals and two assists. His six-point effort played a big role in Cherry Creek ending its four-year championship drought.

Scott Hewitson helped with three goals. Seyler Skudneski added two while Hogan Danneberg and Henri Halle both scored once.

Cherry Creek finished the season with a 17-2 record.

Regis Jesuit ended up at 12-7.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines