June 7, 2009

Langtry, Denver Ease Past Chicago, 15-11

from press releases

CHICAGO - In a highly anticipated rematch, the Denver Outlaws breezed by the Chicago Machine, 15-11 today at Toyota Park in the Windy City.

Coming out like gangbusters in the first quarter, the Outlaws opened scoring at 4:29, as Matt Brown found the back of the net off of an assist from Drew Westervelt. Soon to follow were three more unanswered goals for Denver. Brendan Mundorf fed the ball to Sean Lindsay, who notched Denver's second goal of the quarter. Continuing the momentum, Bud Light Game MVP, Josh Sims, and Brian Langtry both tallied unassisted goals.

After a slow start, the Machine finally found the back of the net. Twelve minutes into the quarter, Chicago's Steven Brooks grabbed an unassisted goal. Denver led the Machine 4-1.

Chicago rookie, Kenny Nims, assisted Kevin Leveille to start the second quarter, pulling the Machine within two. Denver quickly replied with two more goals. Sims, assisted by Westervelt, tallied his second goal of the half, and Langtry, assisted by Lindsay, rocketed a two-pointer past Chicago goalie, Mike Gabel. Denver now led the Machine 7-2.

Breaking Denver's three-point run, Matt Striebel notched an unassisted goal with five minutes remaining in the second quarter. Not to be outdone, Sean Lindsay snagged an unassisted goal for Denver to close out the half. Both teams headed to the locker rooms with an 8-3 Denver lead.

To start the second half, last week's Bud Light Game MVP, Max Seibald, netted his first goal of the game for Denver. Within a minute, Striebel tallied his second unassisted goal of the game. With this goal, however, came two penalties on Chicago's Steve Whittenberg, who was called for an illegal body check and for unsportsmanlike conduct. Capitalizing on the powerplay, Denver's Westervelt found the back of the net off of an assist from Sims.

Three minutes later, the unrelenting Outlaws' attack struck again with another two-point goal from Langtry. Not giving up yet, Chicago's Steven Brooks found Jake Deane in front of the net, as Deane notched a goal for the Machine. To close out the third quarter, Denver attacker, Brendan Mundorf, found the back of the net for his first goal of the game and for his 100th career goal.

Quiet for the first three quarters, Mike Leveille finally found the back of the net, opening the fourth quarter with an unassisted goal. In a back-and-forth scoring battle, Josh Sims netted an unassisted goal for Denver, which was then followed by two Chicago goals. Once again, Nims found Kevin Leveille in front of the cage, and younger brother Mike Leveille assisted Deane.

After tallying his 100th career goal, Mundorf decided to add another one to the books. Mundorf's unassisted goal was answered with another pair from Chicago. Chazz Woodson scored the first and the dynamic Leveille duo teamed up for the second. Chicago had tightened the gap, and the score was 15-10.

With time running out, Terry Kimener tallied what came to be Chicago's last goal of the game. Despite this final push from the Machine, time ran out and Denver held on for the win.

As expected, the Leveille brothers, with three points apiece, led the Machine. Deane (2 G), Striebel (2 G), and Brooks (1 G/1A) contributed to the attacking end as well. Kenny Nims had a strong offensive performance, with three assists for the game. Gabel played the entire game for Chicago and had 12 saves on 25 shots.

Leading the pack for the Outlaws was Game MVP, Josh Sims. Sims finished the game with a hat trick and an assist. His supporting cast included Mundorf (2 G/1 A), Langtry (3 G, 2 2-pt G), Westervelt (1 G/2 A), and Lindsay (2 G/1 A). Between the pipes, Jesse Schwartzman played 60 minutes and had 17 saves on 28 shots on goal.

comments powered by Disqus

More Headlines